Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by prebelo
2. Add all other ingredients to the casserole except the cinnamon and nutmeg making sure there is enough liquid/fat to cover the venison.
3. Cook under low heat for 4 hours or more (until meat shreds easily with a fork).
4. Remove the neck from the casserole and shred the meat, letting the liquid in the casserole cool down. The shredding should achieve a smooth texture made of fine meat fibers.
5. When the casserole is cold enough for the fat to separate from the liquid spoon some of the fat into the meat until the desired texture is achieved (careful not to add the liquid). The addition of fat is particularly important to venison as this is an extremely lean meat and there is no such thing as low fat rillettes!
6. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and taste to check seasoning and serve cold on white bread or crackers.
If you want to keep the rillettes for more than a week you can store in sterilized jars making sure you cover the top with fat to seal.
For full recipe photos and other posts see http://pasto.wordpress.com