Warm Escarole and Mushroom Salad
Added by kye in france | Mon 23 Feb 2009 @ 12:00
* 1 medium head escarole, cleaned, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 pound mushrooms (such as shiitake, button, or cremini), cleaned, stems removed, and quartered
* 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
* 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1. Place escarole in a large bowl and set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. When oil smokes, add mushrooms, garlic, shallot, and thyme and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from heat and transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the escarole. Pour vinegar into the pan. Stir, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, then pour over the mushrooms. Toss all ingredients together, season with additional salt and pepper, and serve.