White Breakfast Loaf
Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 30 Mar 2010 @ 22:31
A lovely soft crumbed bread made with milk and olive oil ,which is ideal for toasting.
500g plain flour
200ml semi-skimmed milk
3 tbsp of mild olive oil
1 little packet of dried yeast
2 tsps of white sugar
1-2 level tsps of salt
1. Pour the milk and water into a saucepan and heat gently till just warm (you could also blitz it in the microwave if you prefer).
2. Place the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl then pour the warmed milk/water into the bowl.
3. Stir a little then once the mixture begins to pull together remove from the bowl and knead throughly, till the dough is soft and silky (this will take about 15-20 mins by hand).
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with some oiled plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour (it should have more than doubled in size).
5. Remove dough from the bowl, punch it down, then knead gently for just a minute or two.
6. Place the dough into a floured small loaf tin, cover with the oiled plastic wrap and allow to prove for another 40mins.
7. Bake the loaf in a preheated oven (180C) for approx. 40 mins (oven temps may vary so start checking the loaf after 30 mins..if it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom of the loaf, it\'s ready)