Wicked Grilled Greek Salad
Added by bluenote | Fri 26 Jun 2009 @ 00:07
This is a beautiful warm salad with a smoky flavor from the BBQ and freshness from the herbs. Make it a meal by addding some skewers of meat on the BBQ at the same time.
1 Red bell pepper
1 Yellow bell pepper
1 sweet onion
1/2 seedless cuke
3 ripe roma tomatoes
1-2 cloves of garlic
Cavender\'s greek seasoning (optional)
- Preheat the BBQ - put the bamboo skewers in water to soak.
- Cut up bell peppers into bite size pieces, big enough to fit onto bamboo skewers.
- Cut the onion the same way so it fits on the skewers, you may not use all of the onion. Try and seperate the layers as you feed them on, it\'s worth it.
- Thread pieces onto bamboo skewers as tight as you can jam them on.
- Coat the skewers (now full of veg) with olive oil and greek seasoning. If you don\'t have greek seasoning salt and pepper will work too. Put these aside for now.
- Cut up tomato and cucumber into small bite size pieces and throw into a salad bowl.
- Zest some of the lemon into the bowl and add all of the juice from it.
- Grate or finely chop the garlic, then add.
- Add some fresh thyme and oregano (dried will work, just use less)
- Add salt and pepper and just a touch of olive oil - mix it up.
- Crumble a layer of feta cheese over the mix - leave it on top, this is important.
- Grill the peppers, onions on the BBQ until they are tender but not soggy.
- When done, pull the peppers and onions off the skewers onto the feta. This must be done while they are still hot.
- Let them hang out on the feta for about 5 minutes or so, then toss the salad.
- Add olive oil if needed. Olives if you like them...