Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 05 Oct 2010 @ 08:18
Makes a nice lunch served with some crusty bread :) If you want a more filling meal you can serve it with some smoked sausages. Just add them towards the end of cooking to warm them through gently.
200g dried yellow peas
100g speck or smoked bacon, finely chopped
1.2 L of vegetable or chicken stock
1 medē onion, finely chopped
2 medē carrots, peeled and diced
1 small potato, peeled and diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp of dried marjoram
1-2 tbsps olive oil
Salt (if necessary) and black pepper to season
1. Using a large saucepan, heat the olive oil till just hot. Add the finely chopped
bacon or speck to the pan and fry over a mediuim heat till lightly browned.
2. Add the vegetables to the pan (except the potato) and sweat over a gentle
heat for approx. 5 minutes.
3. Add the potato, dried peas and marjoram then pour in the stock and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Pop a lid on the pan and simmer the soup for approx. 40 mins or until peas are soft and creamy.
4. Check for seasoning, adding a little extra salt if necessary.
5. If you prefer a slightly smoother texture, just pour half the soup into a blender, blend till creamy then return the blended soup to the pan.