butternut squash soup
Added by princesslolypop | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
2 medium butternut squash (approximately 1.5 kg (3 lb)
15 - 30 ml (1-2 tbsp) olive oil
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
2 leeks (about 1 1/2 lb (700 g) chopped, white part only
750 ml (1 1/4 pt) chicken stock
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml buttermilk
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F ) Gas Mark 4. Cut squash in half lengthways and brush flesh with olive oil.
2. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly. Scoop out the pulp.
3. In a heavy saucepan, saute the leeks in butter for 10 minutes. Add the squash, stock and seasonings.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. In batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
5. Return to the heat and bring to the boil. Add the buttermilk and heat, but do not let the soup boil. Add salt to taste.
serves 4 - 6