Added by RedfoxEstonia | Tue 01 Jun 2010 @ 13:33
country style extravaganza with \"forest salads\". Believe me, it IS yummy! Fireweed also makes a good fresh salad with mozzarella or sandwitch topping when mashed and mixed with cream cheese and mustard seeds. But you can get more nutrients out of it in a hot soup.
250 g fireweed (tender, light green shoots or tips)
150 g nettles
100 g stalk celery
some fresh parsley
1/2 cup barley groats
400 ml vegetable broth
butter and sunflower oil
4 boiled eggs + 4 tbsp sour cream to serve
1. wash the fireweed and nettles, tip into boiling water for a minute or two (takes away any possible bitterness.
2. chop the weeds finely
3. boil the groats until half tender. add a vegetable stock cube and bayleaf.
4. add sliced celery and carrots, boil until almost soft
5. heat some oil on a pan and add butter. add the weeds and fry for a few minutes. then add them to the soup
6. add parsley, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
serve in heated bowls with a sliced egg and a spoonful of sour cream on top