spicy italian sausage with linguine
Added by madcaps89 | Sun 12 Dec 2010 @ 16:38
serves 2. step 5 is optional. you don\'t really need to pass the tomatoes through a sieve but i like the way you get a really silky sauce that still has the flavour of the chilli, basil and garlic. Enjoy!
extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic- crushed
handful fresh basil- stalks finely chopped and leaves kept to one side
1 red chilli- finely chopped
1 tin of plum tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
4 italian course ground sausages
1 small glass of red wine
just under half a pack of linguine
sea salt and black pepper
1. get a large pan of boiling salted water on the go and heat some olive oil in a small saucepan and add the garlic, chilli and basil stalks. fry gently for a few minutes.
2. heat up a frying pan, remove sausage meat from skins, roughly chop and add to hot frying pan.
3. add tomato puree and plum tomatoes to the garlic, chilli, and basil stalks, season and add a pinch of brown sugar to help with acidity of tomatoes. mash up the tomotoes with a wooden spoon.
4. once sausage meat is well browned and nearly cooked through add the pasta to the boiling water and add the red wine to the sausage meat and reduce to about half.
5. take your saucepan of tomatoes and pour into a sieve over the frying pan of sausage and wine. use a ladle to push the liquid through the sieve. if the liquid is a little thin let it reduce for a few minutes. Once reduced, chop your basil leaves and add to the sauce.
6. Once ready, drain your pasta, throw it back in the pan and back onto a low heat. add your sauce to the pasta and stir well to coat the pasta.
7. serve up with some small basil leaves, parmesan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil