Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
approx 250g apples (cox or similar), finely chopped
120g shredded suet or butter(place butter in freezer, then grate it)
100g candied orange peel
180g soft brown sugar
50g almond slivers
150g marzipan,finely chopped
Juice and rind from 1 large lemon
Juice and rind from 1 large orange
3 teaspoons of my mixed spice (see below)or ready bought
1/2tsp almond extrakt
4 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp cinammon
2 tsps nutmeg
2 tsps ginger
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ground star anise
1. Mix all of the ingredients together (except the brandy), then cover and leave in a cool place for 24 hours to marinate.
2. The next day, place in a casserole dish (or similar), cover with foil and allow to 'cook' in the oven (100C) for approx. 3.5 hours.
3. Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool down, stirring occasionally (it'll thicken up again when it cools).
4. Add the brandy, mix well then fill into sterilised jars and seal.
5. Place in a cool, dark place (cellar,garage,garden shed if its cold enough outside !), and allow to mature for at least 3 weeks before using.
Tip: You can replace some of the currants with dried cranberries/cherries and use amaretto instead of brandy.