Added by badlydrawnboy | Sun 04 Apr 2010 @ 05:51
I came up with this recipe about seven or eight years ago, when I tried making regular mayonnaise for the first time. Being a little worried about the mixture not emulsifying I whisked the oil in really, really slowly. The result? A very, very thick mayo. So I thinned it with yogurt and I haven\'t looked back. Because it\'s a little thinner than regular mayo it makes a great dipping sauce, as well as being useful for the usual mayo purposes. Of course it\'s much healthier than regular mayonnaise, but even if you don\'t care about health there\'s a creaminess and lightness to this that you may prefer. It\'s also very, very versatile, as you\'ll see.
1 egg yolk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup plain fat free natural yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
Put the egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk together.
Very, very gradually drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking all the while.
(It\'s imortant to go very slowly at first, once you\'ve got 1/3 to 1/2 of the oil in there you can go a bit faster)
Whisk the yogurt in. There\'s no need to go slowly with this part.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Because the yogurt is naturally sour there\'s no need to add lemon juice or vinegar as you normally would with a mayonnaise, unless you\'re using it for tartar sauce (see below), in which case you may want it a bit more tart.
1. Add some blue cheese, and maybe a few chopped chives, and you\'ve got a blue cheese dip, delicious with chicken wings (or, if you\'re being healtier, with spicy grilled chicken breast strips)
2. Add chopped pickles and capers, and some chopped dill if you like, and you\'ve got tartar sauce. Or you can mix it with tuna, for a delicious tuna salad / sandwich.
3. Add more mustard and a bit of honey and you\'ve got a honey mustard dressing for coleslaw.
4. Add chopped anchovies, minced garlic and grated parmesan and it\'s caesar dressing.
5. Add some wasabi and you\'ve got a wasabi mayo that goes really well with grilled salmon or tuna
6. You can also add reyhydrated and minced chipotle peppers, pureed roasted peppers, chopped herbs, pureed roasted tomatoes...