Fresh Asian noodle salad
This is one of those salads which tastes so amazing that you have to keep making it! It's spicy, zingy and really gets your tastebuds going.
Nutritional Information (amount per serving)
- 300 g cellophane noodles or beanthread noodles
- 200 g quality minced beef
- 2 teaspoons five-spice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 heaped teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 100 g cooked peeled prawns, from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 handful fresh mint, chopped
- 2 handfuls roasted peanuts
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Soak the noodles in a bowl of warm water until soft, then drain and put back in the bowl. In a hot wok fry the beef and five-spice in the olive oil until brown and crisp, then add the garlic, ginger, prawns and sugar and stir-fry for another 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir the wok mixture into the noodles. Add the spring onions, lime juice, fish sauce, chillies, coriander, mint and peanuts to the bowl. Toss well and correct the seasoning — it wants to be quite zingy with the lime juice. Sprinkle with some extra herb leaves if you like and serve cold.
Try this: You can modify the recipe by using a little wok-fried squid, shellfish or different minced meats.
Copyright © 2014 JamieOliver.com