Dukkah spiced belly pork

NOV 14 @ 13:16

by gingeybites

tongue We love belly pork in our house. Its a cheap cut and when roasted in the oven for a couple of hours, tastes like heaven. Its my staple choice whenever I see it on the menu in restaurants but when I cook it at home, I fall into the trap of doing the usual - pork, roasties, peas, carrots, gravy etc.. so this weekend I had free time and decided to do something a bit different.

By rubbing the pork with Olives Et Al Dukkah spices mixed with some olive oil and serving with roasted veg and bulgar wheat, we ended up with a Moroccan inspired feast and more importantly - a refreshing change!

Ingredients:
1kg pork belly (any weight of belly pork can be used for this recipe but adjust cooking time accordingly)
2 tbsp Dukkah spice rub mixed with olive oil to form a paste.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
Put the pork in a roasting tin and rub the skin dry with kitchen towel before scoring it.
Sprinkle salt over the skin and roast for half an hour. 
Turn oven down 180C/ 250F/ Gas Mark 4 and cook for an 1 hour.
Take out and rub the spice mix all over the skin and in the score marks.
Cook for a further 30 minutes then remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes before carving.   
I served this with oven roasted veg (red onion, mushrooms, aubergine) and bulgar wheat, sprinkled with fresh parsley. Fantastic take on roast belly pork!   

My Sunday night experiment - result 10/10!!

0 replies

Login or register to make a comment

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });