Spicy Beef with Tamarind- Kasmhiri Delight
Kashmiri cuisine is one of Pakistan’s regional cuisines. It is known for its simple yet rich flavours, this cuisine is typically non-spicy, the Spicy Beef with Tamarind recipe being an exception. The heat level here is close to that of Thai food. I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law. You just cant stop eating it!
Cooking time 60-75 mins
Boneless Beef 1/2 kg
Whole chillies 12
Tamarind (Imli) 1/2 cup
Medium Onion 1
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Garlic paste 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
Marinate whole chilies and tamarind separately in a cup of water each.
Wash beef and set aside.
• In a deep saucepan, heat oil on medium flame.
• Once the oil is warm, add sliced onions. Fry till golden.
• Add ginger-garlic paste and fry with onions till golden brown.
• Now add beef.
• Mix salt, turmeric powder, powdered red chilies, coriander powder and cumin seeds.
• Cook the beef well. Put 2 tbsp water in and mix it with a spatula till dry (a process known as “bhoonna”). Repeat till oil comes up.
• Add one glass of water in beef and let it cook till soft. This will take about 20 minutes.
• Now take the chilies with the water they are soaking in and process them in a blender just long enough to break the whole chilies and mix them well with water.
• Add this chili mixture in the beef and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
• Remove the seeds from the tamarind and add the pulpy mixture in the beef.
• Let it cook till thick gravy is left.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain boiled basmati rice.