Jamie Oliver var noskimwords = 'true'; var _comscore = _comscore || []; _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "17817337" }); (function() { var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; s.src = (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"; el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); })(); (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-38610140-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');

Nigellas Nutella Cake

APR 04 @ 15:20

by HavensWestcliff

It seems just plain wrong to be writing about a chocolate cake recipe after the choc-fest that is the Easter weekend.  And yet, without wanting to sicken anyone currently recovering from a cocoa-binge, I found I actually managed to resist the siren call of the Easter egg and am in possession of several, still in their boxes and, as yet, unmolested!  Which is probably why I can contemplate the idea of a Nutella cake without simultaneously reaching for the Gaviscon. 

Nutella cake is not only wickedly delicious but wickedly easy to make.  I had my first taste of this exceedingly toothsome treat last year, on my birthday, when it was lovingly baked for me by my mother.  This fact alone is testament to the simplicity of the recipe, as my mother does not hold with any kind of hoopla in the baking department.  Or elsewhere, it has to be said.  She is a straightforward lady, whether she’s cooking or giving advice …!

And so, without further ado, here’s the recipe, courtesy of the lovely Nigella:

For the cake
6 large egg(s)
1 pinch of salt
125 gram(s) unsalted butter (soft)
400 gram(s) Nutella (1 large jar)
1 tablespoon(s) rum (or Frangelico or water)
100 gram(s) ground hazelnut(s)
100 gram(s) dark chocolate (melted)
For the icing
100 gram(s) hazelnut(s) (peeled weight)
125 ml double cream
1 tablespoon(s) rum (or Frangelico or water)
125 gram(s) dark chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and Nutella together, then add the booze or water, egg yolks and ground hazelnuts.
Fold in the cooled, melted chocolate, then lighten the mixture, beating in a large dollop of egg white - gently fold in the rest of them a third at a time.
Pour into a 23cm/9 inch round greased and lined springform tin and cook for 40 minutes or until the cake's beginning to come away at the sides, then let cool on a rack.
Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until fragrant golden-brown in parts: keep shaking the pan  to brown evenly. Transfer to a plate cool – absolutely essential - if they go on the ganache while hot, it'll turn oily.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the cream, liqueur or water and chopped chocolate, and heat gently. Once the chocolate's melted, take the pan off the heat and whisk until it reaches the right consistency to ice the top of the cake. Unmould the cooled cake carefully, leaving it on the bas - it will be too difficult to get such a damp cake off in one piece.
Ice the top with the chocolate icing, and dot thickly with the whole, toasted hazelnuts.

You can then pop the cake on a pretty cake plate, like this pretty pink one from Maxwell & Williams.

1 reply

Login or register to make a comment

APR 15 @ 14:40

by @nGoose1

I still have embedded in my mind Nigella cutting beans still in the packet, announcing it was OK to do so as she did it.  My cake attempts have been much better at late, I know now, what I am doing.
Cooking is a craft, once the basics are learnt then you can be artistic. Gordon Ramsay’s Just desserts book for all things sweet.

Pages: 1
var signup = { alphapopper: '#popup1', thanks_gift_image: 'gift-card-wine-us.png', ignore_cookie: false, is_logged_in: false, is_carl:false, is_allowed: true, is_dormant: false }