The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup RecipesFri 19 Dec 2014
Story by Jennifer Tyler Lee
Easy soup recipes are the ticket when you need a make-ahead dish to feature on your holiday table.
The trick to easy holiday entertaining is to have a few time savers in your back pocket. That’s where these easy soup recipes, inspired by The 52 New Foods Challenge, deliver! Each recipe offers a simple way to add a delicious seasonal ingredient to your holiday table without much effort. Make these soups ahead to save time on the big day, and freeze extras for the chilly winter days ahead.
Pear and Parsnip Soup with Walnuts: The 52 New Foods Challenge
Paired with roasted pears and apples, and garnished with toasted walnuts, parsnips transform into a delicious winter soup: Pear and Parsnip Soup with Walnuts. Just remember to serve it small, in demitasse cups or Asian soupspoons, to avoid overwhelming reluctant eaters.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup: The Brazen Kitchen and The Naptime Chef
A simple roasted butternut squash soup is a staple in our house. We like to add a touch of maple syrup to give it an extra special touch for the holidays. Brazen Kitchen gives a test drive to the recipe from my new book. Kelsey Banfield adds a delicious twist with curry powder.
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup: The Flexitarian
Packed with Vitamin C, cauliflower is a workhorse veggie that is a huge helper when it comes to winter soups. Roast it to perfection, blend it up with leeks, and add a sprinkle of cheese to create a simple a hearty winter soup. The Flexitarian shows us how.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is the author of The 52 New Foods Challenge: A Family Cooking Adventure for Each Week of the Year (Penguin Random House/Avery 2014) and the creator of the award-winning series of healthy eating games, Crunch a Color®. Her family cooking adventures have been featured by Michael Pollan, Jamie Oliver, Rachael Ray, Laurie David, Pottery Barn Kids, and Whole Foods. She is a featured blogger at The Huffington Post and a regular contributor to the James Beard Award-Winning magazine, Edible.
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’