25 Local Food Event Ideas For Food Revolution Day 2012!Fri 20 Apr 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Day Team
What Will You Be Doing On Food Revolution Day?
Food Revolution Day is now less than one month away and there are some amazing events popping up all over the world. From the Good Food Tour in Amsterdam, Kids Day at the Calabasas Farmers Market in California, and the Street Market Tour & Walk at the Park in Sao Paulo, people all over the globe will be sharing their food knowledge on May 19.
We want you to join us and stand up for real food by hosting or attending local food events where communities can transfer food skills and knowledge to arm people with the knowledge to make better food choices for a healthier, happier future!
Have you got your events planned yet? Search the Food Revolution Day events map to see the 180+ events already planned, get some ideas as to how you can participate, and check out the creative ideas below for something a little different to do in your local community.
You can always do your own versions of these events - whether in your home, local school, community or workplace - but whatever you plan be sure to add your event to our global map!
25 Event Ideas To Inspire You!
1. Introduce Food In The Classroom Food doesnít just have to remain in the kitchen, it can be used in the classroom too. So why not introduce real food across the curriculum and incorporate it into different lessons, whether itís working out portion sizes in maths, seasonal climates in geography or nutritional benefits in science.
2. Get Seasonal Learn whatís in season and when in your local area, where you can get it and what you can cook with it. Eating seasonally is the way to go; not only is it usually cheaper and full of nutritious goodness, but itís also a great way to support your local farmers and community.
3. Homemade Soup Specials Homemade soups not only taste great, but they are also easy to make and great for freezing to use at a later date. Learn how to use whatís in your refrigerator and freezer to make a variety of soups that you can store and eat later. A great and easy way to get your daily intake of veggies.
4. Homemade Goodness Come and learn about the importance of eating homemade from scratch meals. Preparing and eating your own foods in the home, not only means you can control exactly what goes into your food, and the portion size, but itís also a great way to connect with your family and spend some quality time together.
5. Create Your Own Cookbook! Come and learn about the basics of pairing foods, what ingredients go well together and in what quantities so that you can start to create your own recipes. Also find out how to transform your family favorite meals using wholesome real ingredients and add your own twist.
6. Become A Master At Slow Cooking Got a slow cooker or thinking about investing in one? Find out how to get organised with some great slow cooker recipes, so that when you get home after a busy day, you donít have to worry about making a meal, a delicious from scratch dish will be ready and waiting for you!
7. Delicious Dishes With 5 Ingredients Great food doesnít have to be complicated and you donít need lots of different ingredients to make a delicious dish. Learn some great recipes that you only need 5 ingredients for. Never again will you be wondering what to cook when your pantry is a little empty!
8. Taste Testers Getting to like new foods can be a challenge, but holding taste tests is a great way to introduce some new dishes and re-introduce those dishes that have a bad rap, little by little. Try comparing processed versus fresh and see just what a big difference making your own foods can make!
9. Deciphering Food Labels Knowledge of what you are eating and buying is the key in making the right choices when it comes to food. Get to know exactly what all those labels on food actually mean, which ones you need to take real notice of and what you should avoid when it comes to label contents.
10. How To Shop In Your Supermarket With Confidence What do you really want to be filling your basket with? Get some top tips for what to look for in the supermarket, where youíll find the best deals on fresh and wholesome foods, whatís available at the counter and deli section and what you should be avoiding.
11. How To Grow Your Own Food, Wherever! We need to get back to basics when it comes to food and learning where our food comes from and how it grows is really important. Learn the basics of growing your own food, whether itís growing lots in your garden or allotment, or just growing a few herbs on your windowsill.
12. Beekeeping Classes Not only are bees amazingly fascinating but they are really important too! Learn some more about how bees help the world go round and how exactly honey is made in your local area, you can even try some fresh local honey and get some great recipe ideas.
13. Cultural Cuisine Food is at the heart of every culture, and some tastes, spices and ingredients are unique to different cultures, learn about what is traditional to your area and why, and find out some more about the types of foods and dishes that are traditional to other regions and cultures.
14. Kitchen Tips and Tricks Get some tips and tricks for home cooking to help you create delicious dishes every time. From learning the maximum temperature for cooking with olive oil, and how to make simple homemade vinaigrette, to when to add salt to the dish and time saving strategies.
15. Modern Recipes for Ancient Foods The food options available to us these days are endless, but unfortunately a lot of them are premade and processed. Find out some more about ancient foods such as millet, quinoa, amaranth and how you can mix them up, give them a modern twist and introduce them to your diet.
16. Food For On The Go Learn about simple and quick snacks and easy lunches that you can prepare easily at home and take with you to avoid having to pick up pre-made and processed foods while you are out and about. Compare the taste and ingredients in homemade versus shop bought snacks and treats.
17. Cooking for Numbers The amount of food you need depends on how many you are cooking for, is it just you or are you a family of 5? Learn how to adapt recipes depending on the number you are cooking for and how to get the portions just right.
18. Get The Best For Your Money Eating healthy, fresh, wholesome foods doesnít need to break the bank. Itís easy to eat well on a budget with a little bit of know-how. Find out how to get the best for your money, what foods are great to get on a budget and how you can save both time and money in the supermarket and the kitchen!
19. Store Cupboard Favorites Having a pantry stocked with the basics means that youíll always have something in the house so you can whip up a meal, even better if they are homemade! Learn how to create your own pantry basics from pickles and jams to spiced nuts and infused olive oils.
20. What To Avoid When Eating Out You donít have to avoid eating out of the house altogether, itís just good to know how to make the right choices when eating out and on the go. Same goes for making the right choices in the canteen/cafeteria, learning how to make the most out of whatís on offer can make a big difference!
21. Colors Of The Rainbow Learn about the importance of eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables. There are so many different fruits and vegetables that come in different shapes, sizes and colors, and they are all good for different things. Find out how to get a balanced diet and why itís beneficial to eat a variety of foods.
22. Delicious Drinks Itís not just food that we need to think about but drinks too. Find out whatís really hiding in your favourite beverages, sodas and flavored milks Ė some are filled with additives and artificial flavours. Be in the know and learn how to make your own versions including ways to jazz up a jug of water!
23. Whatís So Cool About Kale? Kale is just one of the many amazingly versatile vegetables and there is so much you can do with it! Find out some more about this leafy green nutritious veg and others in its family. This class can be catered for all sorts of different vegetables.
24. The Power of Superfoods Weíve all heard of superfoods, but what actually are they and where can we them, and most importantly what are they good for?! Learn the health benefits of superfoods, and discover where you can get them locally and how to incorporate them into your everyday meals.
25. Comfort Foods Changing eating habits is really difficult, particularly as we get older and as often food is thought of as a comfort. However you donít have to have unhealthy comfort foods, learn how, with a little be of creativity and you can cook healthier versions of your favorite comfort foods.
The Food Revolution Day Team
Image Credits: Bottom Left - Lisa Dearen, Top left - Tina Martin, Right - Food Revolution Team
- A Quiet Revolution
- Food Revolution Day At Work In The Netherlands
- The Disco Salad In Vienna On May 17
- Creating A Waterfall Of Real Food, Cooking And Food Education
- Food For Thought On Food Revolution Day.
- Revolutionizing Food In Richmond
- Food Tasting For FRD2013 At Roehampton University
- Learning Knife Skills And Life Skills In Pittsburgh
- The Family Dinner Challenge
- A Potluck Of Fun For Food Revolution Day
- Jamie's Italian Celebrates Food Revolution Day
- The Ultimate Italian Supper For Food Revolution Day
- Announcing Juneís Monthly Challenges
- Promoting The Mission For Better Food In Devon
- 'Mr. Zee's Apple Factory' Teaches Kids About Processed Food
- WITS Celebrates Food Revolution Day With Seasonal Greens
- Food Revolution Day In North Carolina Grows Even Stronger!
- 74 Countries Celebrate Food Revolution Day
- World Health Assembly Adopts New Targets
- Hong Kong Hungers For Better Food & Food Education