52 New Foods April Recipe RoundupWed 02 May 2012
Story by By Jennifer Tyler Lee
Everyone is welcome at our table! Join us for an Italian Dinner Party – Crunch a Color™ style!
This month, our “New Food Night” took on a uniquely Italian flavor. The kids thrilled at decorating the table with simple Italian flourishes, preparing the delicious recipes, and talking about how Italian cooking is similar to (and different than) some of our other favorite cuisines around the world. The theme even sparked a lively debate about where noodles originated! It made our regular weeknight dinner festive, and it was great fun!
Easy Italian Chicken
Fifteen minutes to fabulous! This simple Italian chicken is a weeknight winner and was an easy way to get my kids to try a favorite food (roast chicken) in a new way (pan-seared with Italian spices). Try it paired with our homemade tomato sauce and a dash of Parmesan for a healthier (and easier) version of Chicken Parmesan: Easy Italian Chicken.
Healthy Caesar Salad
Move over mayo! Jamie Oliver’s coming to dinner and he’s bringing a Caesar on the lighter side salad. I was delighted and surprised when Jamie’s healthier version of this quintessential Italian salad made it onto our new family favorites list: Healthy Caesar Salad.
Homemade Tomato Sauce
No more boring plates of buttered pasta! Having grown up in an Italian family, you can imagine my shock and dismay when my daughter announced, “I don’t like tomato sauce!” I decided it was time to bring her into the inner circle and teach her to make my grandmother’s homemade tomato sauce. Gather up your farm fresh ingredients (including fresh tomatoes if you have them) and spend the day sizzling, simmering and stirring up a delicious meal together: Homemade Tomato Sauce.
Dinner’s on the way, but the kids are hungry. My no-fail pre-dinner snack strategy is kale chips. These easy, healthy chips will satisfy even the fiercest snack craving. They are great to have on the table as you’re getting dinner ready – enjoy snacking on your greens and count ‘em towards your Crunch a Color™ points for the meal: Kale Chips.
Got Great Recipes?
What are your favorite easy weeknight recipes? Post them, and photos of your delicious creations, on the Food Revolution Community Facebook page and tag @crunchacolor. You may be featured in our next 52 New Foods Recipe Roundup!
Craving more new recipes to try? Tune into the Crunch a Color™ New Food Challenge each week for more tasty, fun and easy recipes from fellow Food Revolutionaries and get the exclusive recipe roundups each month right here on Jamie’s Food Revolution.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is a mom of two children and the creator of Crunch a Color™ - the award-winning nutrition game that makes healthy eating fun. Like most parents, she struggled to get her kids to eat healthy, balanced meals, so she decided to make it into a healthy eating game and she’s giving back to support Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. Watch her picky eaters tell the story of how they turned into healthy eaters playing the game. Join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter to tune into Crunch a Color's healthy eating adventure and Jennifer’s tips and kid-friendly, easy recipes.
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World