A Is For Apples! B Is For Beets! C Is For Carrots!Mon 07 Oct 2013
Story by Stacy Whitman
My twins' kindergarten class has been studying--and eating--the alphabet one letter at a time. Inspired by the book Eating the Alphabet: Fruits & Vegetables from A to Z by Lois Ehlert, their teacher came up with idea of having a corresponding snack for each letter of the alphabet.
The letter connection gets them excited about eating the healthy snack, she says. It's also a great way to introduce them to foods that they've never tried--and some that they've never heard of.
I just love the concept and love her for doing it. If all teachers made an effort to teach kids about food (or, better yet, all schools required it), the world would be a different place.
Look for updates on my Facebook page as to what letters--and corresponding foods--my twins and their schoolmates are eating in class.
P.S. I provided my twins' teacher with this link to free lesson plans for teaching little ones about select fruits and veggies (including apples, blueberries, green beans and tomatoes). The lessons are geared toward early childhood/kindergarten age and you are welcome to use them (but please credit Nurture when doing so). Other free curricula for grades 1 to 5 available here.
About the Author: Stacy Whitman is the real-food lovin' mom behind the blog School Bites: One Mom's Crusade for Better Nourished Kids at School (and at Home!). Visit School Bites and join the School Bites community on Facebook and Twitter for more information about creating healthier schools and improving food choices for kids. And check out School Bites on Pinterest for fun and healthy food ideas for school parties and more!
School Bites: One Mom's Crusade for Better Nourished Kids at School (and at Home!)
Visit my website: http://school-bites.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/School_Bites
Like me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SchoolBites
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food