A Is For Apples! B Is For Beets! C Is For Carrots!Mon 07 Oct 2013
Story by Stacy Whitman
My twins' kindergarten class has been studying--and eating--the alphabet one letter at a time. Inspired by the book Eating the Alphabet: Fruits & Vegetables from A to Z by Lois Ehlert, their teacher came up with idea of having a corresponding snack for each letter of the alphabet.
The letter connection gets them excited about eating the healthy snack, she says. It's also a great way to introduce them to foods that they've never tried--and some that they've never heard of.
I just love the concept and love her for doing it. If all teachers made an effort to teach kids about food (or, better yet, all schools required it), the world would be a different place.
Look for updates on my Facebook page as to what letters--and corresponding foods--my twins and their schoolmates are eating in class.
P.S. I provided my twins' teacher with this link to free lesson plans for teaching little ones about select fruits and veggies (including apples, blueberries, green beans and tomatoes). The lessons are geared toward early childhood/kindergarten age and you are welcome to use them (but please credit Nurture when doing so). Other free curricula for grades 1 to 5 available here.
About the Author: Stacy Whitman is the real-food lovin' mom behind the blog School Bites: One Mom's Crusade for Better Nourished Kids at School (and at Home!). Visit School Bites and join the School Bites community on Facebook and Twitter for more information about creating healthier schools and improving food choices for kids. And check out School Bites on Pinterest for fun and healthy food ideas for school parties and more!
School Bites: One Mom's Crusade for Better Nourished Kids at School (and at Home!)
Visit my website: http://school-bites.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/School_Bites
Like me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SchoolBites
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden