A Recipe For Change: Flavored MilkTue 11 Oct 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
The Food Revolution believes that flavored milk is one more source of additional sugar – and other non-nutritive additives – that kids don’t need. This campaign is about declaring that schools should give our kids the best nutrition possible, and one step is to make sweetened, flavored milk a treat, not an everyday staple at breakfast and lunch.
FOOD REVOLUTION MILK WEEK OF ACTION
On November 7-11 we are encouraging Food Revolutionaries to lead a “Milk Week of Action” of their own design in their community. The availability of flavored milk is a local decision that you can influence. And talking about pure vs. processed milk can open a powerful community conversation about the food in schools.
You can use the resources below to guide you.
To plug into our community of Milk leaders, join our Facebook Group.
TOOLS AND RESOURCES FOR LOCAL ACTION ON FLAVORED MILK
Facts on Milk
● Fact Sheet: The Plain Truth About Flavored Milk
● LAUSD Pure Milk Fact Sheet
Changing Milk in School
● Superintendent’s Memo to the Board in Los Angeles
● Colorado Springs District 11 web page about White Milk
Tools for Action
● Milk Leaders Facebook Page
● Colorado Springs White Milk Poster 1 & White Milk Poster 2
● Change.org - a great site to create an easy sign-on letter to local officials
Examples from Our Community
● Explanation of the November Milk Week of Action
● Article and Photos about the June 9th Milk Day of Action
Additional Reading and Watching
● Big Dairy Puts Big Scare Into Parents to Push Chocolate Milk - But for How Long? by Ed Bruske, blogger, Better DC School Food
● The Chocolate Milk Debate: Does It Do A Body Bad?
● Chocolate Milk In Schools: Should It Be Banned? By Marlene Schwartz, PhD
● Video of Chef Ann Cooper: Eliminating Chocolate Milk in Schools
This is just to get you started; we will have more tools and resources to share with you in the coming weeks!
The Food Revolution Team
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary