A Recipe For Change: Flavored MilkTue 11 Oct 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
The Food Revolution believes that flavored milk is one more source of additional sugar – and other non-nutritive additives – that kids don’t need. This campaign is about declaring that schools should give our kids the best nutrition possible, and one step is to make sweetened, flavored milk a treat, not an everyday staple at breakfast and lunch.
FOOD REVOLUTION MILK WEEK OF ACTION
On November 7-11 we are encouraging Food Revolutionaries to lead a “Milk Week of Action” of their own design in their community. The availability of flavored milk is a local decision that you can influence. And talking about pure vs. processed milk can open a powerful community conversation about the food in schools.
You can use the resources below to guide you.
To plug into our community of Milk leaders, join our Facebook Group.
TOOLS AND RESOURCES FOR LOCAL ACTION ON FLAVORED MILK
Facts on Milk
● Fact Sheet: The Plain Truth About Flavored Milk
● LAUSD Pure Milk Fact Sheet
Changing Milk in School
● Superintendent’s Memo to the Board in Los Angeles
● Colorado Springs District 11 web page about White Milk
Tools for Action
● Milk Leaders Facebook Page
● Colorado Springs White Milk Poster 1 & White Milk Poster 2
● Change.org - a great site to create an easy sign-on letter to local officials
Examples from Our Community
● Explanation of the November Milk Week of Action
● Article and Photos about the June 9th Milk Day of Action
Additional Reading and Watching
● Big Dairy Puts Big Scare Into Parents to Push Chocolate Milk - But for How Long? by Ed Bruske, blogger, Better DC School Food
● The Chocolate Milk Debate: Does It Do A Body Bad?
● Chocolate Milk In Schools: Should It Be Banned? By Marlene Schwartz, PhD
● Video of Chef Ann Cooper: Eliminating Chocolate Milk in Schools
This is just to get you started; we will have more tools and resources to share with you in the coming weeks!
The Food Revolution Team
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight
- November 2014 Monthly Challenges
- Exploring The Food In Landlocked Developing Countries
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs