Ambassador Of The Month: María José Calvimontes - Santiago, ChileThu 27 Jun 2013
Story by Sarah Curl
Ambassador of the Month is a new feature that we’ve launched in order to highlight the amazing volunteers we have around the world. Ambassadors who have been chosen show unwavering desire for change in their communities. They are fighting for real food and food education skills and donate their time every month to make this happen.
This month’s Ambassador of the Month is María José Calvimontes. Originally from Bolivia and a mother of four, María has been an Ambassador for the Food Revolution since March 2012 and has worked hard to make lasting change in Chile. One of María’s main focuses is sustainable eating and works towards educating her community with passion and enthusiasm. Please meet María!
Tell us a little about why you wanted to get involved in the Food Revolution?
Together with my sister, Bebi Calvimontes, we have several years of experience working in the Sustainable Home initiative, which seeks to bring the concept of sustainability into practice in everyday life. From there, we advise and train in different areas, and one of them is the sustainable eating: making responsible decisions throughout the feeding process. So when we heard about the Food Revolution, we didn’t hesitate to get involved. We’ve been involved since the start and supported by Marcela Aguirre, owner of Zucca Gourmet, a catering company, all acting together as ambassadors.
How has the Ambassador Program helped you accomplish your goals?
I think the Ambassador Program help us mainly in three areas:
- With ongoing support to the community of ambassadors and with the monthly challenges that they propose each month.
- With the delivery of resources, tools, tips, ideas, graphics kits which all facilitate the communication of our messages.
- With the motivation that comes with knowing what other ambassadors around the world are working on and the opportunity to share with them through the JOFR Facebook group.
What have you been able to achieve since being an Ambassador?
I’ve been able to link the job that we’ve been doing for some time in honor of sustainable eating combined with the Food Revolution campaign for healthy eating. This has allowed us to invite more people and organizations to get involved and work together for a common cause.
What are you currently working on in your community?
Sustainable Home, a certified B Corporation is an initiative, which is part of Needo, our consulting firm. We have partnered with other B Corps that provide products or services related to this subject to form a healthy eating movement in Chile. We organize activities with families, schools, businesses and communities throughout the year to promote awareness about the need to eat well and to drive change towards a healthier lifestyle.
At this stage we are investigating the people, organizations and companies that are already working in the field of food to invite them to be part of the movement and thus ensure that the scope of what we do is as massive as it is needed and that our activities will continue long term.
Check out the Food Revolution Day 2013 video from celebrations in Santiago, Chile: http://vimeo.com/67166727
Find out more about our Food Revolution Ambassador program and apply to become one here!
Follow Maria on twitter: @mjcalvimontes
About the author: Sarah Curl is the Food Revolution Community Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.
- August Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day