Students Cook For The Homeless On Food Revolution DayFri 24 May 2013
Story by Cath MacDougall
Australian Students Cook for the Homeless on Food Revolution Day.
Prepare Produce Provide is an innovative school based project in conjunction with Crown & schools delivering VET (part of the Australian school curricula), where home economics students from 13 schools have teamed up with local industry professionals to cook and package meals for the homeless. Together, they will prepare 5000 meals for Foodbank!
While 13 schools have been selected for this pilot, the hope is that it will continue yearly with schools across Western Australia and eventually expanding nationwide.
Students participating in the project meet a number of competencies across the Cert I & II in Hospitality as well as learning about real food and delivering it to those who need it most, making our world a better place!
Promoting ‘The Cycle of Giving’ by Cooking for the Community
On Food Revolution Day, May 17, a team of students and volunteers from the project put their cooking skills to good use. Together they prepared over 100 kilos of chicken in nutritious meals to feed the hungry, learning an important lesson that link their practical cooking skills with solutions to real life issues.
Food speaks louder than works and students need to understand that are an important part of our community. They also need to know that by applying what they have learnt in the cooking classroom, they can make a difference in someone else’s life!
Find out more about the program on the 5000 Meals facebook page.
About the author: Teacher, trainer and chef, Cath has experience of developing a wide range of innovative programs which promote links between industry and schools. In association with colleagues Tracey Ashman and Jenny McGilvary, Cath recently developed “Prepare Produce Provide”.
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table