Students Cook For The Homeless On Food Revolution DayFri 24 May 2013
Story by Cath MacDougall
Australian Students Cook for the Homeless on Food Revolution Day.
Prepare Produce Provide is an innovative school based project in conjunction with Crown & schools delivering VET (part of the Australian school curricula), where home economics students from 13 schools have teamed up with local industry professionals to cook and package meals for the homeless. Together, they will prepare 5000 meals for Foodbank!
While 13 schools have been selected for this pilot, the hope is that it will continue yearly with schools across Western Australia and eventually expanding nationwide.
Students participating in the project meet a number of competencies across the Cert I & II in Hospitality as well as learning about real food and delivering it to those who need it most, making our world a better place!
Promoting ‘The Cycle of Giving’ by Cooking for the Community
On Food Revolution Day, May 17, a team of students and volunteers from the project put their cooking skills to good use. Together they prepared over 100 kilos of chicken in nutritious meals to feed the hungry, learning an important lesson that link their practical cooking skills with solutions to real life issues.
Food speaks louder than works and students need to understand that are an important part of our community. They also need to know that by applying what they have learnt in the cooking classroom, they can make a difference in someone else’s life!
Find out more about the program on the 5000 Meals facebook page.
About the author: Teacher, trainer and chef, Cath has experience of developing a wide range of innovative programs which promote links between industry and schools. In association with colleagues Tracey Ashman and Jenny McGilvary, Cath recently developed “Prepare Produce Provide”.
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival
- A Naturally Sweet School Valentine's Day