Students Cook For The Homeless On Food Revolution DayFri 24 May 2013
Story by Cath MacDougall
Australian Students Cook for the Homeless on Food Revolution Day.
Prepare Produce Provide is an innovative school based project in conjunction with Crown & schools delivering VET (part of the Australian school curricula), where home economics students from 13 schools have teamed up with local industry professionals to cook and package meals for the homeless. Together, they will prepare 5000 meals for Foodbank!
While 13 schools have been selected for this pilot, the hope is that it will continue yearly with schools across Western Australia and eventually expanding nationwide.
Students participating in the project meet a number of competencies across the Cert I & II in Hospitality as well as learning about real food and delivering it to those who need it most, making our world a better place!
Promoting ‘The Cycle of Giving’ by Cooking for the Community
On Food Revolution Day, May 17, a team of students and volunteers from the project put their cooking skills to good use. Together they prepared over 100 kilos of chicken in nutritious meals to feed the hungry, learning an important lesson that link their practical cooking skills with solutions to real life issues.
Food speaks louder than works and students need to understand that are an important part of our community. They also need to know that by applying what they have learnt in the cooking classroom, they can make a difference in someone else’s life!
Find out more about the program on the 5000 Meals facebook page.
About the author: Teacher, trainer and chef, Cath has experience of developing a wide range of innovative programs which promote links between industry and schools. In association with colleagues Tracey Ashman and Jenny McGilvary, Cath recently developed “Prepare Produce Provide”.
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food