Students Cook For The Homeless On Food Revolution DayFri 24 May 2013
Story by Cath MacDougall
Australian Students Cook for the Homeless on Food Revolution Day.
Prepare Produce Provide is an innovative school based project in conjunction with Crown & schools delivering VET (part of the Australian school curricula), where home economics students from 13 schools have teamed up with local industry professionals to cook and package meals for the homeless. Together, they will prepare 5000 meals for Foodbank!
While 13 schools have been selected for this pilot, the hope is that it will continue yearly with schools across Western Australia and eventually expanding nationwide.
Students participating in the project meet a number of competencies across the Cert I & II in Hospitality as well as learning about real food and delivering it to those who need it most, making our world a better place!
Promoting ‘The Cycle of Giving’ by Cooking for the Community
On Food Revolution Day, May 17, a team of students and volunteers from the project put their cooking skills to good use. Together they prepared over 100 kilos of chicken in nutritious meals to feed the hungry, learning an important lesson that link their practical cooking skills with solutions to real life issues.
Food speaks louder than works and students need to understand that are an important part of our community. They also need to know that by applying what they have learnt in the cooking classroom, they can make a difference in someone else’s life!
Find out more about the program on the 5000 Meals facebook page.
About the author: Teacher, trainer and chef, Cath has experience of developing a wide range of innovative programs which promote links between industry and schools. In association with colleagues Tracey Ashman and Jenny McGilvary, Cath recently developed “Prepare Produce Provide”.
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!