Back To School And Back To School FoodMon 16 Sep 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
As Kids Head Back to School, Find Out If Your School Is Meeting Healthy School Lunch Standards.
The National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs provide meals to millions of children each day, providing a big portion of many students’ daily calories. Ensuring that school meals are nutritious is important for kids’ health, as well as for academics; healthy kids learn better. Healthy eating also helps prevent diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and obesity.
Schools have been working hard over the past year to implement updated nutrition standards for school lunches and it is paying off. Despite challenges, nearly 80% of schools across the country believe they are meeting the updated standards.
As your children head back to school, take a minute to find out if your school is among the many schools meeting strong nutrition standards for school lunch. If it is then be sure to thank and congratulate food service staff and administration (check out resources from the CSPI, including a template thank you letter here).
If your school is not meeting these new guidelines then see if you can find out why and what the barriers are. Talk to your food service staff, PTA and health and wellness committees to see how you might be able to help, and use the following resources to help support your school in moving things along.
• The USDA’s best practices sharing center: A collection of resources and tools for School Food Authorities and State Agencies to help them meet school meal regulations.
• Guidance and resources from the USDA for school meals and smart snacks in schools.
• Our Food Revolution school food toolkits with information on finding out the facts about the food served at your school, and ideas for helping support change.
Getting buy-in from teachers, students, and parents is key to success in implementing healthy school nutrition guidelines. Check out how Davies County Public Schools in Owensboro, KY, were successful in making changes here.
Check out the #foodfri Tweetchat with @MomsRising and @CSPI for a ‘Back to School’ special on twitter on September 27, 2013 at 1 p.m. EDT.
For more information on how you can support your school’s efforts as they continue to work to meet the updated school lunch standards and begin implementing the new breakfast standards, visit www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/schoolfood.
The Food Revolution Team
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden