Back To Scratch In Davis CaliforniaTue 31 May 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Rafaelita ‘RC’ Curva has been working since 2001 to bring freshly prepared and made-from-scratch dishes to the lunch plates of the students in Davis, California.
RC, SNS, is the Director of Student Nutrition Service for Davis Joint Unified School District. Currently, 68 % of produce, grains and olive oil used in preparing school lunches come from farms within a 300 mile radius of the city. SNS incorporate locally-made, fresh, whole-grain bread into the menus as well as whole grains in salads and entrees; this is achieved by their work with local bakeries in Davis and through professional development to learn about the variety of whole grains and how to cook with them.
Locally grown, seasonal and sustainable foods are provided by working with local farmers, community based organizations and food suppliers, which keep the menu fresh and nutritious and every school has a seasonal salad bar and hot entrée items, such as Thai Lemon Chicken, seasonal vegetables and organic rice.
Emphasizing professional development, RC has worked with the Davis Farm to School program 3 years running to organize classes from award-wining cookbook authors in flavor profiles, ethnic diversity, and cooking with fresh, seasonal vegetables.
School lunches provide a variety of seasonal options which include seasonal salad bars, soup made from scratch, the use of only locally grown organic rice and farm to school pizzas, including a seasonal vegetarian one, which are freshly made and served weekly.
Davis Joint Unified School District is committed to a healthy school lunch program through an increased offering of fresh fruit and vegetables and the optimization of commodity products through scratch cooking in order to improve flavor, nutrition and to introduce ethnic dishes whilst minimizing and beneficially reusing food waste and supporting the use of food packaging and products that are ecologically protective.
RC and the Davis Joint Unified School District also take the time to educate and communicate with their school communities about how their school lunch program supports students.
Davis Joint Unified School District
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden