Back To Scratch In Davis CaliforniaTue 31 May 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Rafaelita ‘RC’ Curva has been working since 2001 to bring freshly prepared and made-from-scratch dishes to the lunch plates of the students in Davis, California.
RC, SNS, is the Director of Student Nutrition Service for Davis Joint Unified School District. Currently, 68 % of produce, grains and olive oil used in preparing school lunches come from farms within a 300 mile radius of the city. SNS incorporate locally-made, fresh, whole-grain bread into the menus as well as whole grains in salads and entrees; this is achieved by their work with local bakeries in Davis and through professional development to learn about the variety of whole grains and how to cook with them.
Locally grown, seasonal and sustainable foods are provided by working with local farmers, community based organizations and food suppliers, which keep the menu fresh and nutritious and every school has a seasonal salad bar and hot entrée items, such as Thai Lemon Chicken, seasonal vegetables and organic rice.
Emphasizing professional development, RC has worked with the Davis Farm to School program 3 years running to organize classes from award-wining cookbook authors in flavor profiles, ethnic diversity, and cooking with fresh, seasonal vegetables.
School lunches provide a variety of seasonal options which include seasonal salad bars, soup made from scratch, the use of only locally grown organic rice and farm to school pizzas, including a seasonal vegetarian one, which are freshly made and served weekly.
Davis Joint Unified School District is committed to a healthy school lunch program through an increased offering of fresh fruit and vegetables and the optimization of commodity products through scratch cooking in order to improve flavor, nutrition and to introduce ethnic dishes whilst minimizing and beneficially reusing food waste and supporting the use of food packaging and products that are ecologically protective.
RC and the Davis Joint Unified School District also take the time to educate and communicate with their school communities about how their school lunch program supports students.
Davis Joint Unified School District
- Momentum Grows For Food Education Campaign!
- Penguin China Cooks Up A Food Revolution!
- Catch Up On Jamie’s Live #FRD2013 Google Hangout
- Cooking Field Trips For Food Revolution Day
- Big Love, Big Thanks!
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013