Big Apple Crunch For Food DayFri 27 Sep 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Food Day, a nationwide day of action in the U.S., is now less than a month away!
Food Education – Let’s Get Cooking
This year’s Food Day, which takes place on October 24, has a special focus on activities aimed at teaching kids to cook, with the nationwide action Let’s Get Cooking. All over America, activities are already underway to ensure that kids are as familiar with vegetable peelers, cutting boards, and mixing bowls as they are with iPhones and video games.
We know how important teaching kids to cook is, which is why we’ve teamed up with Food Day to get food education in every school across the U.S. If you haven’t already signed up to support this effort click here to do just that and join the conversation online at #FoodEd.
"Cooking with your kids--which leads inexorably to sitting down and eating meals as a family--is one of the simplest yet most powerful steps you can take to improving your family's health and well-being, as well as the health of the entire food system." -Michael Pollan, Author, Professor of Journalism, University of California, Berkeley
Big Apple Crunch
In honor of Food Day, we’re teaming up with the folks at the Big Apple Crunch in New York City and providing an exclusive educational card to go alongside this Food Day event.
The Big Apple Crunch is an attempt to set the world record for the “Most Participants in an Apple-Crunching Event” whilst also raising awareness around eating your fruits and vegetables. Taking place on Food Day, Oct 24, New Yorkers can participate by finding a crunch to join or hosting their own. It’s a great way to get involved in the national movement and all you need is an apple! Plus, especially for this event we are making our Apple Education Card available to bring a bit of food education to Big Apple Crunch activities.
This Apple card is one of 14 simple fresh fruit and vegetable fun and educational lesson plans. Each focuses on a particular fruit or vegetable along with a recipe and food facts and can be taught in the classroom, at an afterschool program or for adults in the workplace and builds a foundation to get anyone eating more fruits and vegetables and to trying new ones, while also learning about where the fruit and veg comes from and why they are good for them.
Check out our Pinterest board with photos of some of our fruit and vegetable classes here and register your interest in the full program here.
Help make history and celebrate Food Day by crunching!
Here’s how you can get involved in the Big Apple Crunch and host your own…
1. Fill out the registration form at www.bigapplecrunch.org
2. Spread the word! Email your friends, join the Big Apple Crunch on Facebook, tweet about it (#Crunch2013)
3. Get your apples! Purchase locally grown apples for the Big Apple Crunch from your local Greenmarket, orchard, green grocer or supermarket.
4. Crunch! At 12pm EST (or anytime that day) on October 24th, host a Big Apple Crunch in your classroom or business!
Don’t want to host your own but still want to get involved? Find a crunch to join here.
This October 24, why not use Food Day to start talking about the importance of food education in your community and local schools, or even better still provide some food education in your event – no matter how big or small!
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!