Brilliant Bloggers And Online HeroesWed 19 Dec 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
December Blog of the Month – Meal Planning Magic
Each month we highlight a blog as our ‘Food Revolution Blog of the Month’ and this year we've had some amazing blogs as our winners! From demonstrating the differences in school food cultures in the US and France, to a family chucking out the junk and eating clean, to children taking on school food and cooking their way around the world, we've been inspired each month by a different blog.
This month is no different! We’re excited to announce that December’s blog of the month is Meal Planning Magic, run by Brenda Thompson, a Texas mom, foodie and self-taught meal planner who shares ideas to get organized, save money, eat healthier, consciously and family friendly-plus have fun along the way!
“For as long as I can remember I have been cooking and baking. I love playing around with new ingredients or working with familiar favorites and experimenting with different cuisines. Cooking in the kitchen with my children is something I started from an early age (pretty much since they started walking!) as I love knowing that we’re creating memories but also learning new things too!
Putting REAL food on the table is something I enjoy and am glad to share with family and friends. Since realizing a family history of high cholesterol many years ago, I became more interested in what I was eating - I had to for my health! But I think it was when I had children that my interest really took off. I wanted to make sure that I was providing healthy food options for my family but as many new moms discover, I found it especially challenging as my schedule had changed so much. There were times that I did rely on more convenience foods than I would have liked.
It was not long after my first child was born that I realized I needed to take a more organized approach to meal planning and shopping. With my desire to learn more and change my ways I found there was a world of options out there. But as with anything our needs changed as the kids grow older, our lives become busier and our tastes change too. It was a challenge to figure out the right fit for us but I was up for it! In that process, my friends and family were taking note and asking for help so they could be a little more organized too.
I taught a few workshops and started this blog as a way to share my journey with others. It’s still an ever changing process and I love connecting with my readers online and in person. It has been an adventure full of fun and new opportunities.” – Brenda Thompson
2012 Blog of the Month Winners
• January: Out of the Box Food
• February: Teeny Tiny Kitchen
• March: Little Ladies Who Lunch
• April: Chasing Tomatoes
• May: Epicurious Kids
• June: Never Seconds
• July: My Kids Really Eat This
• August: Karen Le Billon
• September: Clean Eating
• October: Fernbank Farm to School
• November: Eating Rules
• December: Meal Planning Magic
Online Heroes Win Cookbooks & Cookware!
To thank the users of our Jamie Oliver Food Foundation Giving Assistant – our free online fundraising tool which allows you to raise funds for hands-on food education programs as you shop online – we offer a chance to win prizes.
Every user that downloads the free Giving Assistant earns 100 entries to win, by inviting friends to download it too you gain another 100 entries (for each friend that downloads) and when you shop online you earn 1 entry for every penny you raise!
So as you do your online shopping, not only can you raise funds to support better food education, but you might also win a prize, all for free!
This year, our winners have included Candice Chavez, Brenda Meek, Bree Hester, Erin Miller and Monica Leidig!
If you want to be entered to win a Jamie Oliver cookbook then download the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation Giving Assistant for free, and start making your shopping count.
The Food Revolution Team
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays