California Center For Public Health AdvocacyFri 07 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
We would like to introduce you to one of the organizations on the frontline of the fight to bring healthier foods and beverages to schools.
Since 1999, the California Center for Public Health Advocacy (CCPHA) has been at the forefront of solving the obesity and diabetes epidemics in California by advocating for groundbreaking policies that build healthier communities.
The bulk of their work has centered on school food policies. CCPHA led the successful legislative effort in 2005 to set nutrition standards for competitive foods (those are the foods sold outside the US federal school meal program) sold in California schools. These early standards have served as the starting point for nutrition standard discussions at the federal level and locally across the country. CCPHA also led the successful effort to prohibit the sale of sugary sodas in California schools. And these policies seem to be working! Several studies have documented that childhood obesity rates began declining after California passed its school nutrition policies.
CCPHA continues its important work today and YOU can be a part of it. By signing up for CCPHA’s advocacy network you will be able to stay up-to-date on CCPHA’s efforts to fight the overwhelming availability of sugar-loaded drinks and the beverage industry’s hard-core marketing techniques. Members of CCPHA’s advocacy network get periodic email updates and targeted requests to contact elected officials. Join CCPHA today and be a part of their groundbreaking work!
- Behind Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council