California Center For Public Health AdvocacyFri 07 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
We would like to introduce you to one of the organizations on the frontline of the fight to bring healthier foods and beverages to schools.
Since 1999, the California Center for Public Health Advocacy (CCPHA) has been at the forefront of solving the obesity and diabetes epidemics in California by advocating for groundbreaking policies that build healthier communities.
The bulk of their work has centered on school food policies. CCPHA led the successful legislative effort in 2005 to set nutrition standards for competitive foods (those are the foods sold outside the US federal school meal program) sold in California schools. These early standards have served as the starting point for nutrition standard discussions at the federal level and locally across the country. CCPHA also led the successful effort to prohibit the sale of sugary sodas in California schools. And these policies seem to be working! Several studies have documented that childhood obesity rates began declining after California passed its school nutrition policies.
CCPHA continues its important work today and YOU can be a part of it. By signing up for CCPHA’s advocacy network you will be able to stay up-to-date on CCPHA’s efforts to fight the overwhelming availability of sugar-loaded drinks and the beverage industry’s hard-core marketing techniques. Members of CCPHA’s advocacy network get periodic email updates and targeted requests to contact elected officials. Join CCPHA today and be a part of their groundbreaking work!
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays