California Center For Public Health AdvocacyFri 07 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
We would like to introduce you to one of the organizations on the frontline of the fight to bring healthier foods and beverages to schools.
Since 1999, the California Center for Public Health Advocacy (CCPHA) has been at the forefront of solving the obesity and diabetes epidemics in California by advocating for groundbreaking policies that build healthier communities.
The bulk of their work has centered on school food policies. CCPHA led the successful legislative effort in 2005 to set nutrition standards for competitive foods (those are the foods sold outside the US federal school meal program) sold in California schools. These early standards have served as the starting point for nutrition standard discussions at the federal level and locally across the country. CCPHA also led the successful effort to prohibit the sale of sugary sodas in California schools. And these policies seem to be working! Several studies have documented that childhood obesity rates began declining after California passed its school nutrition policies.
CCPHA continues its important work today and YOU can be a part of it. By signing up for CCPHA’s advocacy network you will be able to stay up-to-date on CCPHA’s efforts to fight the overwhelming availability of sugar-loaded drinks and the beverage industry’s hard-core marketing techniques. Members of CCPHA’s advocacy network get periodic email updates and targeted requests to contact elected officials. Join CCPHA today and be a part of their groundbreaking work!
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight
- November 2014 Monthly Challenges
- Exploring The Food In Landlocked Developing Countries
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs