California Center For Public Health AdvocacyFri 07 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
We would like to introduce you to one of the organizations on the frontline of the fight to bring healthier foods and beverages to schools.
Since 1999, the California Center for Public Health Advocacy (CCPHA) has been at the forefront of solving the obesity and diabetes epidemics in California by advocating for groundbreaking policies that build healthier communities.
The bulk of their work has centered on school food policies. CCPHA led the successful legislative effort in 2005 to set nutrition standards for competitive foods (those are the foods sold outside the US federal school meal program) sold in California schools. These early standards have served as the starting point for nutrition standard discussions at the federal level and locally across the country. CCPHA also led the successful effort to prohibit the sale of sugary sodas in California schools. And these policies seem to be working! Several studies have documented that childhood obesity rates began declining after California passed its school nutrition policies.
CCPHA continues its important work today and YOU can be a part of it. By signing up for CCPHA’s advocacy network you will be able to stay up-to-date on CCPHA’s efforts to fight the overwhelming availability of sugar-loaded drinks and the beverage industry’s hard-core marketing techniques. Members of CCPHA’s advocacy network get periodic email updates and targeted requests to contact elected officials. Join CCPHA today and be a part of their groundbreaking work!
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden