Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Real Food!Wed 27 Jun 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
July 4th is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate this national holiday than with real food shared with friends and family!
While food is a big part of July 4th and there are many traditions when it comes to the Independence Day menu, your BBQ doesnít need to consist of pre made and shop bought items and thereís no harm in venturing out and trying something new Ė after all you have the freedom to choice what food you eat and to choose real food!
This July 4th why not mix it up a bit and switch out some of those old favorites for some new dishes, or if itís tradition to have the same foods, why not make them from scratch this year. Theyíll taste better, plus youíll have total control over what ingredients go into them and you wonít have to worry about what you are actually feeding your friends and family.
Our Food Revolution July 4th Menu
Get Busy On The BBQ
Everyone loves a BBQ on July 4th, so check out our BBQ Chicken Ė itís a feature of pretty much every barbecue across the country and weíve got a great recipe to help you make sure itís crisp on the outside and cooked in the middle, just the way it should be! If youíre marinating your BBQ meats, be sure to make your marinades ahead of time and store them in a jar so you donít get tempted to use bottled sauces.
A Perfect Potato Side
Potato Wedges Ė the perfect side dish for your BBQ, with just a bit of salt, pepper and olive oil, you can create these great oven baked wedges. Simple, delicious and so much better than shop bought or deep fried fries!
Simple & Delicious Salads
If you usually go for shop bought pasta salads why not make your own fresh salads with homemade dressings that arenít pumped full of hidden ingredients and preservatives. Check out our Garden Salad with a Buttermilk Dressing, our Caesar on the Lighter Side Salad and our humble Chopped Green Salad and add some color to your July 4th feast!
Looking for something sweet to follow? Get creative in the kitchen and make some Cupcakes with a Berry Glaze as a treat for your guests. The great thing about making your own cakes at home is that you know exactly whatís going into them. You could even mix things up and add some different fruits to that berry glaze in order to represent the nationís colors, perhaps some blueberries, raspberries and white peaches!
Our simple and delicious Fruit Salad is also a real winner when it comes to party food. Itís simple to make and everyone can help themselves to as much or as little as they would like. In season is always best so donít forget to check your local farmers market and support your local vendors!
We canít wait to see your July 4th food! Be sure to upload your photos to our facebook Food Revolution Community and share them with @foodrev on twitter to help encourage others to try real, wholesome from scratch foods and make a difference this fourth of July.
Hereís to a real food fourth of July celebration!
The Food Revolution Team
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food Ė Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words