Clean Plates Makes Healthy Eating EasierMon 20 Feb 2012
Story by Jared Koch
Healthy eating doesn't have to be hard.
That's the guiding principle at the heart of Clean Plates, a company I founded three years ago as an extension of my work with clients (I'm a nutritional consultant). Launched as a Zagat-style guidebook to healthy, sustainable and delicious dining options, today we're that and much more -- a full-fledged media company with a series of books, websites and (as of last month) an iPhone app.
Our goal is to meet people where they are, literally (the app, and even our books, which are portable by design) and figuratively. I'm a huge believer in bio-individuality, which basically means that there's no one right way to eat; different bodies thrive on different diets. With this in mind, at Clean Plates we create content and services for eaters of all stripes, carnivores, vegans, those on gluten-free diets, and everyone in between.
Whether your idea of delicious is a burger or a kale smoothie, we'll help you make the healthiest choice possible- highlighting restaurants whose burgers are made from pasture-raised, hormone- and antibiotic -free cows, for example, and juice bars that use organic produce and natural sweeteners.
In addition to helping you find restaurants that use better-for-you ingredients and healthier cooking methods, Clean Plates is dedicated to providing news and tips to make healthy eating a breeze. On our website, you'll find recipes, profiles of forward-thinking food companies, and more, plus blogs for the cities we cover -- Manhattan, Brooklyn, and LA, as well as Clean Plates National (we're expanding to more cities in the coming year - let me know if you'd like to see Clean Plates in your town!). Again, the goal is to make healthy eating as easy- and enjoyable- as possible.
I really do believe that you can eat healthy, sustainably produced food that's good for your body, good for the planet, and tastes great, too. Now, if you'll excuse me -- I'm off to eat one of those hormone-free burgers I mentioned.
About the author: Founder of Clean Plates, Jared Koch graduated pre-med from the University of Michigan and completed graduate work at the Global Institute for Alternative Medicine and Institute for Integrative Nutrition with certification by Columbia University, Teachers College. He is a nutritional consultant and health coach certified by the Teachers College of Columbia University, the Global Institute of Alternative Medicine, and the Institute for IntegrativeNutrition.
- Students Cook For The Homeless On Food Revolution Day
- Momentum Grows For Food Education Campaign!
- Penguin China Cooks Up A Food Revolution!
- Catch Up On Jamieís Live #FRD2013 Google Hangout
- Cooking Field Trips For Food Revolution Day
- Big Love, Big Thanks!
- Letís Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home