Cookery Lessons To Become Compulsory In UK SchoolsMon 11 Feb 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Yesterday, Jamie Oliver welcomed changes to the curriculum in UK schools which will see cookery lessons and food education becoming compulsory for 7-14-year-olds from September 2014.
These changes should mean that children will be able to cook at least 20 different meals from scratch before they start GCSE studies (aged 14).
Jamie’s school dinner’s campaign in the UK continues to fight obesity and educate youngsters about food, but last year the UK Government commissioned the founders of Leon restaurants, John Vincent and Henry Dimbleby, to further report on the state of school food.
Jamie said earlier: “Henry and John have worked extremely hard in pulling the whole school food story together and I think they’ve done a brilliant job of representing many different viewpoints, from teachers and parents to campaign groups, as well as individuals, like myself. It’s a critical time for children’s health right now, and government have a tremendous responsibility to get this right. School food and school food education is paramount.”
Jamie continued: “The commitment to food education is a great milestone, but there’s still a lot more commitment needed from Mr Gove. This is the first bit of good news in a long, long time and a big victory for our children’s futures. Most importantly, they’ve got the government to see reason where many of us couldn’t. Onwards and upwards.”
See the original article here and stay tuned for more updates on these changes and what kids in the UK can expect to see in schools from next year.
The Food Revolution Team
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight
- November 2014 Monthly Challenges
- Exploring The Food In Landlocked Developing Countries
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs