Cookery Lessons To Become Compulsory In UK SchoolsMon 11 Feb 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Yesterday, Jamie Oliver welcomed changes to the curriculum in UK schools which will see cookery lessons and food education becoming compulsory for 7-14-year-olds from September 2014.
These changes should mean that children will be able to cook at least 20 different meals from scratch before they start GCSE studies (aged 14).
Jamie’s school dinner’s campaign in the UK continues to fight obesity and educate youngsters about food, but last year the UK Government commissioned the founders of Leon restaurants, John Vincent and Henry Dimbleby, to further report on the state of school food.
Jamie said earlier: “Henry and John have worked extremely hard in pulling the whole school food story together and I think they’ve done a brilliant job of representing many different viewpoints, from teachers and parents to campaign groups, as well as individuals, like myself. It’s a critical time for children’s health right now, and government have a tremendous responsibility to get this right. School food and school food education is paramount.”
Jamie continued: “The commitment to food education is a great milestone, but there’s still a lot more commitment needed from Mr Gove. This is the first bit of good news in a long, long time and a big victory for our children’s futures. Most importantly, they’ve got the government to see reason where many of us couldn’t. Onwards and upwards.”
See the original article here and stay tuned for more updates on these changes and what kids in the UK can expect to see in schools from next year.
The Food Revolution Team
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary