Do You Know Where The Food You Eat Comes From?Wed 27 Oct 2010
Food, Inc. is a brilliant movie all about the US food industry and the food we eat. Our awareness of processed foods is pretty good in that we know they have no nutritional value and to eat fresh is better but we still need to improve our understanding of ingredients and the source of the food we consume everyday.
"There is this deliberate veil, this curtain thatís drawn between us and where our food is coming from. The industry doesnít want you to know the truth about what youíre eating because if you knew, you might not want to eat it."
In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner delves in to the US food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly thatís been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our governmentís regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA.
The US food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, insecticide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of e coli - the harmful bacteria that cause illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.
Featuring interviews with such experts as Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma) along with forward thinking social entrepreneurs like Stonyfield Farms' Gary Hirschberg and Polyface Farms' Joe Salatin, Food, Inc. reveals surprising - and often shocking truths - about what we eat, how it's produced, who we have become as a nation and where we are going from here.
If you haven't seen this movie yet, make sure you do.
To watch the trailer, find out how to host a screening and learn more about Food, Inc. and the big issues click here.
To download Food, Inc.'s educational materials for use in the classroom click here.
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- Marchís Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics Ė Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine