Eating Local Foods – The LocovoreThu 23 Feb 2012
Story by Selena De Vries
This week’s Tuesday Twitter Party had people passionate about eating close to home. We thought of ideas of how to become even better food citizens and how eating as a ‘locovore’ can be bursting with flavor and nutrients! I am so glad I was able to host this party on one of my favorite topics and meet like-minded folks. Great advice was given and received from a fantastic group of people passionate about real food.
Eating local has all sorts of benefits from supporting your local farmer in order to increase the production of local foods, to keeping the environment healthy, and, of course, to provide our bodies with the best nutrition. But, sometimes it’s not always easy to eat local. By sharing our love of local foods, we inspired fresh ideas to help bring out the ‘locovore’ within!
Party Questions and Some of the Best Tweets:
Q1. Where do you get your local foods?
• @Ciocia I also grow herbs in my window and some other things in my small garden in summer
• @scatteredmom Our grocery store carries lots of local products.
Q2. Why do you feel it’s important to buy local?
• @1000plusone You get to reap ALL the benefits of fresh food and support local economy…not to mention meeting cool people!
• @LZXpress It's fun to talk to the farmers - get ideas, recipes - makes the whole process of nutrition a fun adventure
Q3. What are some of your favorite local foods right now?
• @karenlebillon Volcanoes - Mashed potatoes or yams, shape into cone, create centre hole, insert butter, watch melt/overflow!
• @Rachell4Realty Right now I am loving the good old fashioned egg. Just pick up a recipe for stracciatella, amazing
Q4. How do you promote or take part in local foods within your community?
• @1000plusone Use social media, encourage join CSA and shop at local markets…
• @lanaprekprogram Definitely talk up local farmer's markets or farms. Also small markets that serve local stuff. Word of mouth is big!
Q5. What unusual foods are local to you that may not be local to everyone here?
• @NYFarmer Has anybody tried rose veal? Would be very local food in rural NY
• @houseofannie Fruits of Serian link: ow.ly/9d6R5
Q6. Do you ever feel restrained in the local foods available to you? If so, how do you overcome?
• @JTFinkelstein Love being in other pts of the world & enjoying their local produce especially trop fruit in the Caribbean, taste explodes in the mouth
• @TheOrganicTrail When it comes to #RealFood progress not perfection is most important!
Take a look at these recipes and see what people are cooking up using seasonal ingredients:
• Glazed Orange-Cardamom Carrots
• Braised Pork Belly with Tomatoes in Soy Sauce
• Roasted parsnip and pear soup
Thanks to everyone for their great ideas and tips! Try incorporating some of your local produce into the #FoodRevolution recipe of the month, Minestrone Soup and upload all your favorite recipes & photos onto the Food Revolution Community page, you might even get to feature in this month’s newsletter!
About the host: Selena is a soon-to-be Registered Dietitian helping people create positive and balanced relationships with food. Dedicated to reconnecting with lost appetites and rediscovering the ‘real’ taste of food. Inspiring you to become the happiest and healthiest version of yourself. You can connect with her on both Facebook HealthBean and Twitter.
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Lady Cakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs
- Yummy Supper: A Vehicle Of Deliciousness
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges