Farmers’ Market FindsTue 10 Jul 2012
Story by Jennifer Tyler Lee
The bustling market is buzzing with curious food explorers. Busy as bees, my kids zip from one stand to the next, tasting a bit of white nectarine here, a bite of boysenberry there, juice happily running down their chins. The smell of summer is in the air, and it ignites a craving for farm fresh finds.
The local farmers’ market has been a wonderful inspiration for getting my picky eaters to try new foods. Fresh crisp air, busy shoppers, and overflowing tables of colorful fruits and veggies come together to set the perfect stage for exploring. Here’s what we found on our adventures this month.
Big, broad fava beans seem to be made for tiny fingers. Like a sweet pea, but even easier to unfurl, my kids enjoyed peeling open each bright green pod to reveal the treasure inside. But before you dig in, there’s one extra step: How to prepare fava beans.
Friendship Garden Soup
Inspired by Michelle Obama’s healthy lunchtime challenge, my 8 year old daughter created this simple recipe that brings together garden fresh veggies and good friends for an afternoon of kid-style cookin’! Invite your friends to bring a favorite vegetable from their local farmers’ market (or kitchen garden) and make Friendship Garden Soup.
Healthy Zucchini Muffins
Tables piled high with farm fresh zucchini brought back memories of the many creative ways of preparing this delicious summer staple. You can imagine my absolute delight when my new food adventurers decided to make zucchini our new food of the week. A perfect opportunity for one of my favorite sweet treats: Healthy zucchini muffins!
Pick Your Own Strawberries
The bounty of summer berries at our farmers’ market is a regular stop on our famers’ market tour each weekend. But a recent trip to a coastal farm gave us the exciting opportunity to pick our own bounty. A jam-packed adventure for the whole family: Pick your own strawberries.
What’s Cookin’ at Your Local Market?
What was your favorite farmers’ market find this week? Post your pictures on the Food Revolution Facebook page and tag @crunchacolor. You may be featured in our next 52 New Foods Recipe Roundup!
Craving more new recipes to try? Tune into the Crunch a Color™ New Food Challenge each week for more tasty, fun and easy recipes from fellow Food Revolutionaries and get the exclusive recipe roundups each month right here on Jamie’s Food Revolution.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is a mom of two children and the creator of Crunch a Color™-- the award-winning nutrition game that makes healthy eating fun. Like most parents, she struggled to get her kids to eat healthy, balanced meals, so she decided to make it into a healthy eating game and she’s giving back to support Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. Watch her picky eaters tell the story of how they turned into healthy eaters playing the game. Follow Crunch a Color™ on Facebook, Twitter,and Pinterest for more of Jennifer’s tips and kid-friendly, easy recipes.
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World