February’s Monthly Challenge ResultsWed 27 Feb 2013
Story by Sarah Curl
Every month we ask our global team of Ambassadors to complete three Monthly Challenges. Each challenge is designed to inspire Food Revolutionaries to engage with their community and make deeper connections with the thought leaders in the real food industry. Here is what they accomplished this month!
February’s Challenge #1:
We asked our community to try out this month’s recipe Everyday Green Chopped Salad. We wanted to see what different combinations everyone could come up with. Here’s a few of our Ambassadors trying out their own versions of this versatile salad.
Stacy Whitman (Ketchum, Idaho) - Got started on my February Monthly Challenges tonight by making a chopped green salad. I had my 4-year-old twins "chop" the greens with kitchen shears, thinking that they would be more enthused to eat it. They were very excited to participate but, alas, only nibbled one leaf each. (I, on the other hand, very much enjoyed my delicious salad.). Sigh...better luck next time!
Amy Wambold (Scottsdale, Arizona) I like to add thinly sliced and chopped turkey, crumbled feta and chopped almonds. So fun to make!
Rebecca Bourhill (Rustenberg, South Africa) - I started giving monthly demos to teachers at my old school! They are great fun to do! This month I showed 4 dishes and everyone enjoyed it so I will continue for the rest of the year hopefully! This month I focused on Salads so I did a Chicken Caesar salad, Asian chicken salad, Tomato, olive, mozzarella and basil bruschetta with chicken and Onion and Camembert tart.
Lindsey Shifley (Mundelein, Illinois) - A few of our in-town & out-of-town family stepped up to the cutting boards to show off their serious, mad veggie-chopping skills.
February’s Challenge #2:
Recruiting volunteers is a great way to get out in your community and meet new people. On top of that, volunteers are essential in helping your everyday real food initiatives.
Marci Senise (Turin, Italy) - Getting loads of volunteers and events ready for the next month by the way! You guys will be proud of Turin! :))
Joelle Gillooly (Cary, North Carolina) - I sent an email out to recruit volunteers so far we have 10 and 4 kids! I hope you get more than 20 this year for Food Revolution Day.
February’s Challenge #3:
Ambassadors understand the power of social media and use it to increase their outreach. We wanted to bring you some of the amazing Food Revolution accounts that are run by our wonderful team of volunteers. We listed some of our biggest cities so if you are interested in getting involved, feel free to reach out and click on any one of these great accounts. You can see a complete list of Ambassadors here and where their working here.
• Food Revolution Kenya
• Food Revolution Philippines
• Food Revolution Manchester
• Food Revolution Boulder, Colorado
• Food Revolution Chattanooga
A big thank you to all the Ambassadors who participated in February’s Monthly Challenges!
We’ll be announcing March’s Monthly Challenges next week so stay tuned to find out what they are and how you can get involved!
Also, we will start incorporating updates on Food Revolution Day activities from around the world to help inspire your FRD events.
Interested in becoming an Ambassador to help kick start a Food Revolution in your community? Apply today!
Find out more about the ambassador program and how you can get involved here.
About the author: Sarah Curl is the Food Revolution Community Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.
Connect with Sarah on Twitter: @sarahanncurl
Photo Credit: Stacy Whitman
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words