Food Revolution Cook-Off: 4th Of July BBQThu 07 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
This week’s Food Revolution recipe was our BBQ chicken – just in time for the summer season and especially for the 4th of July! Summer is great for getting everyone together and celebrating some good food – and BBQ’s are always a winner.
This barbecued chicken is a great recipe and adding citrus zest, citrus juice and even chile gives loads of flavour without adding many calories. Additionally you can use this marinade to flavour other lean foods such as shrimp, pork tenderloin or flank steak or a variety of vegetables if you are looking for a vegetarian option.
We asked our revolutionaries to download this recipe and get together with friends, family and neighbors to celebrate the 4th of July and Canada day with some great food, thank you to those of you who shared your BBQ creations on our facebook Food Revolution Community page.
• Dana Sites-Cvengros(1) – 4th of July grilled BBQ chicken and pork tenderloin, with veggie pack - chopped potatoes, carrots, green beans, onion, peppers and squash, with a little butter, sea salt and ground peppercorns – wrapped in foil and grilled.
BEST OF THE REST
• Johane Levesque (2) - BBQ chicken cooked over a campfire at a camp cookout
• Ashley Till Harris (4) - BBQ chicken served with corn casserole and fresh steamed broccoli
Our barbecued chicken was really tasty (3) and we served it with a variety of homemade sides. These included our homemade nachos (tortillas lightly brushed with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper and thyme and baked until golden brown), guacamole (avocadoes, tomatoes, chile, lime, cilantro, salt and pepper), yogurt dip (fat-free yogurt, one green chile, lime zest and salt and pepper) and coleslaw (red and green cabbage, carrots, sultanas, fat-free yogurt, salt, pepper and lime juice). These made a great combination - full of flavours and a delicious light summer dish!
Don’t worry if you missed out, you can still join the Food Revolution fun in this week’s cook-off:
We are in full summer swing now and our recipe this week is our Simplest Fruit Salad. So why not round up the troops and take a trip to your local farmers market to pick up some fresh, seasonal fruits to add to this delicious summer desert.
Thanks to everyone who cooked up some BBQ delights, we hope you all enjoyed them and had a great 4th of July! We can’t wait to see your fruit salads this week, we’ll be posting our creation too, join us on the Food Revolution Community page.
The Food Revolution Team
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Lady Cakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs
- Yummy Supper: A Vehicle Of Deliciousness
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges