Food Revolution Cook-Off: 4th Of July BBQThu 07 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
This week’s Food Revolution recipe was our BBQ chicken – just in time for the summer season and especially for the 4th of July! Summer is great for getting everyone together and celebrating some good food – and BBQ’s are always a winner.
This barbecued chicken is a great recipe and adding citrus zest, citrus juice and even chile gives loads of flavour without adding many calories. Additionally you can use this marinade to flavour other lean foods such as shrimp, pork tenderloin or flank steak or a variety of vegetables if you are looking for a vegetarian option.
We asked our revolutionaries to download this recipe and get together with friends, family and neighbors to celebrate the 4th of July and Canada day with some great food, thank you to those of you who shared your BBQ creations on our facebook Food Revolution Community page.
• Dana Sites-Cvengros(1) – 4th of July grilled BBQ chicken and pork tenderloin, with veggie pack - chopped potatoes, carrots, green beans, onion, peppers and squash, with a little butter, sea salt and ground peppercorns – wrapped in foil and grilled.
BEST OF THE REST
• Johane Levesque (2) - BBQ chicken cooked over a campfire at a camp cookout
• Ashley Till Harris (4) - BBQ chicken served with corn casserole and fresh steamed broccoli
Our barbecued chicken was really tasty (3) and we served it with a variety of homemade sides. These included our homemade nachos (tortillas lightly brushed with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper and thyme and baked until golden brown), guacamole (avocadoes, tomatoes, chile, lime, cilantro, salt and pepper), yogurt dip (fat-free yogurt, one green chile, lime zest and salt and pepper) and coleslaw (red and green cabbage, carrots, sultanas, fat-free yogurt, salt, pepper and lime juice). These made a great combination - full of flavours and a delicious light summer dish!
Don’t worry if you missed out, you can still join the Food Revolution fun in this week’s cook-off:
We are in full summer swing now and our recipe this week is our Simplest Fruit Salad. So why not round up the troops and take a trip to your local farmers market to pick up some fresh, seasonal fruits to add to this delicious summer desert.
Thanks to everyone who cooked up some BBQ delights, we hope you all enjoyed them and had a great 4th of July! We can’t wait to see your fruit salads this week, we’ll be posting our creation too, join us on the Food Revolution Community page.
The Food Revolution Team
- Fresno Food Champ: The Reason I Cook
- Orange Soup, Red Apples And Many Vegetables On The Big Rig
- A Family In Fresno Meets The Big Rig
- The Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Year One
- Propelling A School Food Revolution!
- December’s Monthly Challenges
- School Food And Policy In The U.S.
- Jamie's Foundation In America And It's Global Impact
- #FoodRevThanks And Gratitude
- Change Is Happening In Pittsburgh!
- Meet Our Malaysian Food Hero
- Blog Of The Month: The Wednesday Chef
- Cooking Up Change In Fresno
- Food Revolution Shake Up In Vienna
- Food Education: Counting Colors Instead Of Calories
- Mira’s Young Chefs - Hands-on, Educational And Fun Cooking Classes
- What Do You Mean, “Whole Foods – The Store?”
- Hong Kong’s Food Education Program – Think.Cook.Save.
- Manifesto For Pupils' Snack In Romania
- November’s Monthly Challenges