Food Revolution Cook Off: Autumn SaladsThu 20 Oct 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
It was National School Lunch Week last week and in recognition our recipe theme was autumn salads, inspired by salad bars at schools. Salads are a great quick meal option; you don’t have to cook anything and can rustle up a colorful plate or fresh seasonal tasty food. See the highlights from the community and next week’s theme below.
Best Photos From The Community
Jenn Campus Chioggia Beet Salad - A roasted beet salad with goat cheese and tart cranberry compote. Go check out the link to the recipe on my blog! http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2011/02/14/chioggia-beet-salad 
Amy Bronee This is my favorite slaw recipe. It's yummy on its own or piled on top of a burger. You can get the recipe here 
Elodie Galland Barley, dried tomatoes marinated in olive oil and garlic, chick peas, sesam, broccoli, alfalfa and barley grown seeds, chives . With cider vinegar and olive oil 
Bobbi Platte Tabbouleh Recipe: 1/2 cup coarse bulghur, 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, 1/4 cup mint, 2 medium tomatoes, chopped, 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped, 2 medium scallions, finely chopped, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, about 1 lemon, 1 large garlic clove, minced, about 1 tablespoon, 1 tablespoon mild honey, 4 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (optional), Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over bulghur with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid. Toss bulghur with remaining ingredients, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for a couple of hours. Serve with pita bread, crackers or whatever you fancy. 
Elodie Galland Tomato salad 
Amy Bronee I like salads with a lot of texture variety, so this Chipotle Chickpea Salad is another favourite. Here's the recipe on my blog 
The Food Revolution team made a salad bursting with color and flavors  including beetroot, chickpeas, apple, spinach, cucumber, pecorino cheese (you could use another hard Italian cheese) red pepper and tomatoes. What a great way to get some of your five a day!
Some Other Great Autumn Salad Recipe Ideas From The Community
Kelly Doscher -T wo easy to make salads: Confetti Salad – Fennel, red onion, cucumber (seeded), pear, gruyere cheese, basil, s&p, pear vinaigrette, EVOO, shallot, Dijon mustard and Lentil Salad – balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, s&p, sugar, EVOO, fennel bulb, red onion, shallot, tart apple, cooked lentils.
Maggie Driscoll My Fall Salad: Shrimp Salad Platter with asparagus, heirloom tomatoes, Dijon devilled eggs, ripe avocado and fresh greens. Served with warm Artichoke Dip & sourdough and a big platter of fresh melons and berries (drizzled with honey).
Lindsey Wood Fisher Curried Fall veggies served over wild rice & topped with reduced-fat feta and cilantro. Easy to make, healthy and delicious dinner! - 1 cup diced sweet potato, 1 cup cauliflower,1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1 can chick peas, 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth, 1 tsp madras curry powder, 1 tsp powdered ginger, salt & pepper to taste. Heat olive oil and 1-2 cloves minced garlic in a pan. Add sweet potatoes for 3 mins. Add all other ingredients & cover for about 10 minutes - stir every couple of minutes. Serve over rice. Top with feta and cilantro.
Monique Boulanger Salad made with organic mixed baby greens, granny smith apples, cucumber, multi-colored cherry tomatoes, walnuts, topped with a chopped grilled chicken breast, and dressed with a Blackberry and Cabernet Sauvignon vinaigrette.
It’s Food Day on Monday! We’ll be cooking homemade pizzas and fresh salads together; you can find our pizza recipe here and a host of other meal ideas here. Join us on Food Day by cooking a meal from scratch for or with your family, friends or community. Click here to find out what some of our Food Revolution community groups have planned for Food Day!
Share your plans and photos on the Facebook Food Revolution Community page, we’ll take a look and make a shortlist of the best Food Day creations next week! Look out for our Food Revolution Team contributions on the Community Facebook wall on Monday when we have our team Food Day! You can see our whole Food Revolution Team album here.
Thank you to everyone who shared their autumn salads, we look forward to hearing about your Food Day!
The Food Revolution Team
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden