Food Revolution Cook Off: Fruit Smoothies & Fresh MilkThu 17 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Last week was our Food Revolution Milk Week of Action and hundreds of you from all across the country joined together to connect with one another and start the conversation in your school community about flavored milks. In honor of this, our Food Revolution recipe of the week was our Frozen Fruit Smoothies - a great alternative to the premade flavored milks filled full of added sugars and unnatural colors and flavors.
Not only are these smoothies easy to make and simply delicious but there are also so many variations you can do that they will never get boring! Adding some oats gives a thicker texture and fibre boost, a small handful of nuts or spoonful of peanut butter gives some extra protein and there’s no end to the fruit combinations you can try.
Remember, if certain fruits aren’t in season in your area, check out the frozen fruit section in your grocery store or supermarket – frozen fruits have been picked and frozen at their peak and remain their nutritional content and are great value!
Thanks to everyone for posting their homemade fruity drinks photos and recipes.
Some Of The Best Photos From The Community
• Om Chef strawberry, cucumber and raspberry with a papaya and pineapple swirl (1)
• Om chef honeydew, cucumber and mint with pineapple foam and a raspberry bindu (2)
• Orlene E.Gray-Davies This is the Maia's Passion smoothie. Vegan, gluten and soy free. Coconut milk, white grape juice, banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, hemp protein powder, chia seed (ground) and blackstrap molasses. It's in honor of my daughter who has food protein intolerances and can only really tolerate fresh fruits and veggies. (3)
The Food Revolution Team made a variety of delicious milk drinks (4&5)! Plain 1% fresh, cool white milk, 1% white milk blended with strawberries and a blueberry and blackberry smoothie made with 1% white milk, oats and natural yogurt. Our empty glasses (6) show just how delicious they were!
Other Community Recipes
• Courtney Rose Calkins We LOVE smoothies! Our son's favorite is spinach blueberry banana with honey and unsweetened soy milk!
• Stacey L Hall Strawberry, blueberry, banana, spinach, (I use frozen fruit) and milk and or plain yoghurt..
• Lisa Alesi Banana, blueberries, spinach, wheat germ, flax seed and unsweetened almond milk. Yum.
• Stacey L Hall Fresh cooked then diced then frozen beets, bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries... You can also toss beet greens in to any berry smoothie, just be sure to add blue berries or black berries to hide the green, or tone down the Bright Pink from the beets..
Thanks for all the great suggestions, we hope you are as inspired by us and switch out premade and bought flavored milks in favor of these home made from scratch alternatives!
Read all about Milk Week (Jessica article) and visit our Milk HQ to find out more about and get all the resources to start a flavored milk campaign in your school!
Join the Food Revolution Fish Cook-Off This Week!
This week we have a totally new theme – fish! So why not get involved this week, either by joining us in making our Baked White Fish or by making your own favourite fish recipe. Either way, be sure to upload all your recipes and photos onto our Food Revolution Community wall.
We love seeing all your great food shots and how they inspire others and can’t wait to see your fish creations this week!
The Food Revolution Team
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs
- Yummy Supper: A Vehicle Of Deliciousness
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges