Food Revolution Cook Off: HalloweenThu 03 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
We hope you all had a great Halloween and enjoyed cooking up some great healthy treats and autumn inspired dishes to celebrate and get creative at this spooky time of year. We saw lots of pumpkins, spooky versions of some classics and great imagination to get kids excited about cooking and eating fresh.
Halloween has a big focus on treats, which can lead to a lot of processed and artificial products lining the shelves and kids tummies. Taking an American classic, the cupcake, we suggested the Food Revolution Cupcakes recipe instead, adding your own seasonal fruit topping, then you know exactly what you are eating and sharing with others.
Thank you for posting your Halloween cooking photos, we particularly liked Lunchalicious’ banana ghost! Sure to become a classic, very simple and a great way to get kids eating fruit. Check out the best from the community below and find out this week's recipe theme.
Some Of The Best Photos From The Community
• Pati Casarin Food Revolution cupcakes: Sharing a picture of the cupcake I made following your Cupcake with Berry Glaze recipe... Just Loved that!!! PS.: I put Strawberry jam as a filling (1)
• Deberah Bringelson Homemade dark chocolate spiders. An annual tradition in our house. We give these out to the neighborhood (2)
• OutoftheBoxFood Cupcakes with Apple Cider Glaze & Creepy Apple-Almond Teeth - Happy Halloween (3)
• Lunchalicious Food Services banana ghost: Place half a banana on a popsicle stick, “paint” some honey on and roll in coconut, add mini choc chips for eyes and a raisin nose. Healthy and fun! (4)
• Epicurean Mom Here's my no-bake spider web cheesecake. Perfect for Halloween!(5)
• The Naturopath's Kitchen Halloween Pumpkin Cupcakes - Gluten & Sugar Free, Vegetarian (6)
The Food Revolution Team made two different types of cupcake, fresh Pumpkin Cupcakes (7) and our Food Revolution Cupcakes with a Blueberry Glaze (8). They went down a treat in the office!
Alternative Halloween Recipes
• Out of the Box Food Baked Apples
• Cinnamon Apple Chips
• Fall Apple Pie
• Don’t Throw Those Pumpkin Seeds Away: Roast Them!
• Healthy Halloween Pumpkin Cookies, Apple Walnut Bread pudding, and Pumpkin Ginger Martini
This Week’s Theme
It's about wrapping it up burrito style using fresh colourful ingredients; it’s up to you what you put in! Why not try out Sloppy Joes? Or go veggie? We’ll be making some wrapped delights so watch out for our photos as we’ll be uploading them on to the Food Revolution Community page.
Get creative with your wraps and make sure you upload all your cooking photos we love seeing all your great food shots and how they inspire others.
The Food Revolution Team
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions