Food Revolution Cook Off: Simplest Fruit SaladThu 14 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
As we are now in full summer swing, our Food Revolution recipe this week was our Simplest Fruit Salad, quick, simple and delicious, and using the freshest fruit possible makes it even better!
We need to eat lots of fruit and vegetables to stay healthy and this fruit salad makes eating fruit a pleasure. By cutting up a few different types of fresh fruit you can make this great healthy dish which is perfect for a quick snack or for a simple desert on a warm summer’s evening. It’s also a great recipe to get the kids involved in, let them choose different fruits of all shapes, sizes and colors and help you put it all together in the kitchen.
We asked our revolutionaries to download this recipe & make their own fruit salad creations at home, thanks to everyone who added their photos to our Facebook Food Revolution Community page!
• Joi Burke Straaten (1) Fruit salad & berry parfait – soy yogurt, maple syrup, oats & almond milk, toasted coconut & chopped almonds
BEST OF THE REST
• Kim Gerber (Out of the Box Food) (2) Summer fruit salad with orange Greek yogurt & toasted coconut
• Putu Saraswati (3) Simple fruit salad including strawberries, mango & grapes served with plain yogurt
• Susan Nelson (4) Summer on a stick – mango, peach watermelon mint kabobs with fresh honey & toasted coconut
• Alexis Sivcovich (5) Simple fruit salad – green apple, banana, orange & strawberries served with 0% Greek yogurt and honey dip
The Food Revolution team also made this simple fruit salad (6), we took a trip out to get some local fresh fruits and made our salad with pomegranate, mango, apple & cherries– topped with yogurt & honey and some flaked almonds - a perfect light summer desert!
Don’t worry if you missed out, you can join the fun in this week’s Food Revolution cook-off!
This week’s recipe is our brilliant broccoli. Broccoli sometimes get a bit of a bad rap, but with just a bit of salt, pepper & butter you can turn it into a delicious side which is perfect for pretty much any dish! So one evening this week why not give broccoli a chance and add it to your evening meal. We’ve got lots of great dishes if you are looking for something to accompany your brilliant broccoli!
Thanks to everyone who made the simple fruit salad, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
We can’t wait to see what you do with your broccoli this week, don’t forget to add all your photos to our Food Revolution Community page where we will also be adding ours.
The Food Revolution Team
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’