Food Revolution Cook Off: Simplest Fruit SaladThu 14 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
As we are now in full summer swing, our Food Revolution recipe this week was our Simplest Fruit Salad, quick, simple and delicious, and using the freshest fruit possible makes it even better!
We need to eat lots of fruit and vegetables to stay healthy and this fruit salad makes eating fruit a pleasure. By cutting up a few different types of fresh fruit you can make this great healthy dish which is perfect for a quick snack or for a simple desert on a warm summer’s evening. It’s also a great recipe to get the kids involved in, let them choose different fruits of all shapes, sizes and colors and help you put it all together in the kitchen.
We asked our revolutionaries to download this recipe & make their own fruit salad creations at home, thanks to everyone who added their photos to our Facebook Food Revolution Community page!
• Joi Burke Straaten (1) Fruit salad & berry parfait – soy yogurt, maple syrup, oats & almond milk, toasted coconut & chopped almonds
BEST OF THE REST
• Kim Gerber (Out of the Box Food) (2) Summer fruit salad with orange Greek yogurt & toasted coconut
• Putu Saraswati (3) Simple fruit salad including strawberries, mango & grapes served with plain yogurt
• Susan Nelson (4) Summer on a stick – mango, peach watermelon mint kabobs with fresh honey & toasted coconut
• Alexis Sivcovich (5) Simple fruit salad – green apple, banana, orange & strawberries served with 0% Greek yogurt and honey dip
The Food Revolution team also made this simple fruit salad (6), we took a trip out to get some local fresh fruits and made our salad with pomegranate, mango, apple & cherries– topped with yogurt & honey and some flaked almonds - a perfect light summer desert!
Don’t worry if you missed out, you can join the fun in this week’s Food Revolution cook-off!
This week’s recipe is our brilliant broccoli. Broccoli sometimes get a bit of a bad rap, but with just a bit of salt, pepper & butter you can turn it into a delicious side which is perfect for pretty much any dish! So one evening this week why not give broccoli a chance and add it to your evening meal. We’ve got lots of great dishes if you are looking for something to accompany your brilliant broccoli!
Thanks to everyone who made the simple fruit salad, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
We can’t wait to see what you do with your broccoli this week, don’t forget to add all your photos to our Food Revolution Community page where we will also be adding ours.
The Food Revolution Team
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Lady Cakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs
- Yummy Supper: A Vehicle Of Deliciousness
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges