Food Revolution Cook-off: VegetarianThu 06 Oct 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
A lot of our Food Revolution Community are champions of vegetarian food and shout about the variety of great dishes you can make without meat, often viewed as something that is not possible by committed meat eaters! It is a great idea to eat a few meat free meals each week and get creative with the great array of veggies you can buy and even better, grow yourself.
With this week’s vegetarian theme our community posted some great dishes from ricotta gnocchi and veg curry to yellow pepper cake and stuffed peppers. See the highlights from the community and next week’s theme below.
Best From The Community
• Elodie Galland Cake with yellow pepper, feta cheese and cabbage salad 
• Out of the Box Food Vegetarian Cook-off Recipe: Slow Roasted Garlic Tomatoes: For Meatless Monday: Family Style - Puree white beans with a bit of olive oil & salt. Spread puree on grilled, garlic rubbed bread and top with roasted tomatoes. Finish with a bit of fresh Buffalo Mozzarella. Recipe. 
• Karen Humphrey Our favorite vegetarian curry-you don't miss the meat at all! http://tinyurl.com/3ewex62 
• The Naturopath's Kitchen Ricotta Gnocci with Roasted Capsicum & Tomato Sauce. Recipe. 
• Why Veg - Yemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers) I had some peppers from my own garden, it was farmers market day where I got some tomatoes, so I made this delicious vegetarian meal for dinner. 
This week Danny the web editor of jamieoliver.com created a delicious vegetarian pasta  with tomato paste, garlic, aubergine, spinach, wholemeal pasta and shavings of hard cheese (like parmesan) that the whole online team loved and finished off!
Other great ideas included Grilled pumpernickel with gruyere and tomato, fried cauliflower with salad, eggplant Parmesan, vegetarian chili and a more unusual suggestion of fiddle heads sauteed in a few glugs of olive oil and minced garlic!
This week the recipe theme is farm fresh in recognition of Farm to School Month this October! Eggs are a great farm fresh food to buy and omelets a perfect way to try endless combinations of farm fresh toppings, although a simple plain omelet can often hit the spot! Check out the Food Revolution Omelets Recipe.
Share your photos on the Facebook Food Revolution Community page, we’ll take a look and make a shortlist of the best farm fresh dishes next week! Look out for our Food Revolution Team contributions on the Community Facebook wall; you can see our whole album here.
Thank you to everyone who shared their vegetarian dishes, we look forward to seeing your farm fresh creations.
The Food Revolution Team
- The 3rd Annual SWAT Cook-Off 2014
- Chinese-Processed Chicken In School Meals
- How Scholarships For Groceries Aim To Impact Food Deserts
- Common Threads' World Festival
- Calling All Moms, Parents, Advocates!
- The Cycle Of Giving
- What Does The Food Movement Mean To You?
- Food Revolution Day - Let's Get Kids Excited About Food
- Breathing Energy And Life Into Real Food And Education
- The Big Rig Comes To The City Of Angels
- Feed Me Dearly: The Power Of Good Food
- Empowering High Schoolers To Make Better Food Choices
- April’s Monthly Challenges
- The Global Food Revolution Continues
- Eating To Live
- Quality Time On The Mobile Teaching Big Rig
- Fast Food Advertising: It’s Time To Start Paying Attention
- Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Fancy Water
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem