Food Revolution Day At The Ministry Of Food CentersTue 28 May 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Day Team
Food Revolution Day is all about making noise about good food and essential cooking skills, sharing information, resources and knowledge, and it’s great to hear how the Ministry of Food (MoF) Centers across the U.K. supported the day.
These centers, which are part of Jamie’s U.K. foundation – the Better Food Foundation are helping to keep cooking skills alive in their local communities.
Here’s how some of the centers celebrated the day!
Ministry of Food – North East
In the Ministry of Food Center in the North East, Food Revolution Day involved a primary school cook-off and an information stand outside the kitchen.
4 of the local primary schools (all part of the Change 4 Life East Newcastle Partnership) brought a team of 5 children between 9 and 10 years old to take part in the ‘Food Revolution Day Cook Off’.
After some chopping skills practice they got dressed up in their aprons and chef hats to take part in the official competition watched by an audience, which was made of teachers, parents and some Food Nation volunteers. The children were given instructions to make Chicken Fajitas and an advisor from the MoF team of Cooking Skills Trainers.
Once the children had completed their dishes and they were judged on presentation, flavour, team work and technique. There was a great atmosphere in the kitchen and the afternoon ended with West Walker Primary School being announced as the winners, winning a special cookery class for children at their school!
Ministry of Food – Leeds
For Food Revolution Day at the Ministry of Food Leeds, a ‘well-being’ day was help for the employees of the Environmental Agency in Leeds (a local business), concentrating on healthy eating, weight and a healthy heart. There were approximately 500 employees within the organization who were able to visit the MoF stand and see what was on offer.
Over a 4 hour period the MoF Leeds team talked to employees, discussing fresh breakfast ideas and healthy packed lunch options. Expressing the importance of variety of food in our diet, the team also demonstrated recipes for them to see and taste. Recipes shared on the day included granola, smoothies, homemade dips and a variety of salads.
The session was a great success, all the recipes and food provided was enjoyed (every last scrap was eaten!) and employees learning new recipes, ingredients and tips when it comes to choosing food.
Big thanks to Joanna from Ministry of Food North East and Simon from Ministry of Food Leeds for sharing their stories!
Find out more about these centers and the work they do across the U.K. at Jamie’s Ministry of Food. To find out more about Jamie’s U.K. Foundation click here.
The Food Revolution Day Team
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council