Food Revolution Day Comes To A Los Angeles Farmers Market!Fri 11 May 2012
Story by Kim Gerber
Empowering Kids to choose Real Food
Food Revolution Day and Kids. They fit together like pieces of a puzzle, one building on the other until the completed product is a healthy child, empowered to make smart food choices for the rest of their life.
On May 19th, Jamie Oliver has called upon on us all to Stand up for Real Food and OutoftheBoxFood.com, along with JenniferMcColm.com and the city of Calabasas, has taken that challenge and called upon the kids and families of Los Angeles to join them.
Food Revolution Kids Day at the Calabasas Farmers Market
Kids Day at the Calabasas Farmers Market is a day for kids to be in charge of their food. Each purchased ticket - with proceeds going to the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation - will send children on a magical, healthy and educational journey through the vibrant Calabasas Farmers Market.
Armed with a reusable grocery bag, a wristband and a ďtreasureĒ map, children will wander the market in search of new, fresh foods to try. Never tried a mushroom? A child can stop by the marketís mushroom vendor to receive a sample and engage in stories about where mushrooms come from. Squeamish about fruit? Then be sure to stop by and visit farmer Gene Etheridge. Gene is a former high school principal and currently sits on the American Heart Association and William J. Clinton Foundationís Alliance for a Healthier Generation panel of experts as the representative for California Agriculture. Kids visiting Geneís booth are in for a treat as they sample fresh desserts made from his locally grown fruit, plenty of interesting food facts, a warm smile and a fresh picked piece of fruit to pop in their bag to take home and enjoy.
The map will take participating children through an exciting world of new sights, experiences, smells and tastes including Basil Planting, Fresh Salsa Making, Juicing, Farm Fresh Recipe creation, Real Food stories told under the shade of the Gazebo by the city of Calabasasís fantastic childrenís librarian as well as plenty of good olí fashioned kidís fun such as pony rides, petting zoo and prizes from Whole Foods Market and other local businesses.
It's a day for Los Angeles families to experience Old Town Calabasas and for kids to learn to love Real Food.
What: Food Revolution Kids Day at the Calabasas Farmers Market
When: Saturday May 19, 2012
Where: 23504 Calabasas Road Calabasas, CA 91302
Why: Empower our children to learn to love REAL FOOD and support Jamie Oliverís Food Foundation
Cost: $10 per child or $25 for a family with 3 or more children available at the event or limited number of pre-sale tickets available here. All proceeds benefit the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.
Join Food Revolution Day on May 19!
About the author: Kim Gerber is a Los Angeles Childrenís Nutrition Advocate and author/creator of OutoftheBoxFood.com, a website dedicated to deconstructing processed kid food and offering fresh alternatives to families. Kimís Real Food journey continues at home with her own family, including twin boys, as they learn together about the importance of choosing Real Food.
- Letís Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyoneís Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing Mayís Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World