Food Revolution Finale Party At London HQMon 27 Jun 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
For the finale of Season 2 on Friday we took the opportunity to celebrate the Food Revolution so far in 2011 – find out more here - and gathered some troops to cook up some fresh food and have our own finale party.
Our troops were from Auburn University, Alabama - currently in London doing summer internships - we have the lovely Alexis helping out the Food Revolution team and asked her to bring some of her friends along. They were up for the challenge of cooking from scratch since half of them had never done so before, mostly eating processed foods every day. It was a great event and fun to share cooking skills, tips and how they can make the Food Revolution their own.
To start with, as we made our introductions, we made an easy snack, homemade chili salted popcorn. We took ¾ cup of popcorn kernels, 1 tablespoon of groundnut oil (nut oils burn at a higher temperature so are great to use when making quick popcorn) and a teaspoon of chilli flakes. You can add as much or as little chilli as you want, depending on the kick you’re after!
Once everyone was ready we had Amy and Elle chopping up the chicken and veg and mixing up the spices. Kara and Maggie on salsa duty, Mary-Margaret and Brittain making up the guacamole and Alexis and Ray making the chopped green salad. Lots of chopping skills required!
Chicken Fajitas with Homemade Guacamole and Salsa.
Everyday Chopped Green Salad.
Once everyone had finished their prep and cooking and the tortillas were warmed and ready it was time to eat and start talking about how Auburn University can take on the Food Revolution. Everyone loved the experience and was keen to set up a cooking club or supper club back home. A way for them to meet up and regularly cook a meal from scratch to build their cooking skills and reconnect with the food they eat. We suggested they set up a Food Revolution group so that we could also keep in touch and track their progress. Thanks girls for joining us, we’ll be looking out for your Auburn University Facebook group. See the photo album from our Finale Party here!
It was a great night and an excellent way to kick off the Food Revolution this summer, getting more people cooking and joining forces locally to start your own Food Revolution. We are here to support you, find a local group here.
The Food Revolution Team
- The 3rd Annual SWAT Cook-Off 2014
- Chinese-Processed Chicken In School Meals
- How Scholarships For Groceries Aim To Impact Food Deserts
- Common Threads' World Festival
- Calling All Moms, Parents, Advocates!
- The Cycle Of Giving
- What Does The Food Movement Mean To You?
- Food Revolution Day - Let's Get Kids Excited About Food
- Breathing Energy And Life Into Real Food And Education
- The Big Rig Comes To The City Of Angels
- Feed Me Dearly: The Power Of Good Food
- Empowering High Schoolers To Make Better Food Choices
- April’s Monthly Challenges
- The Global Food Revolution Continues
- Eating To Live
- Quality Time On The Mobile Teaching Big Rig
- Fast Food Advertising: It’s Time To Start Paying Attention
- Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Fancy Water
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem