Food Revolution Finale Party At London HQMon 27 Jun 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
For the finale of Season 2 on Friday we took the opportunity to celebrate the Food Revolution so far in 2011 – find out more here - and gathered some troops to cook up some fresh food and have our own finale party.
Our troops were from Auburn University, Alabama - currently in London doing summer internships - we have the lovely Alexis helping out the Food Revolution team and asked her to bring some of her friends along. They were up for the challenge of cooking from scratch since half of them had never done so before, mostly eating processed foods every day. It was a great event and fun to share cooking skills, tips and how they can make the Food Revolution their own.
To start with, as we made our introductions, we made an easy snack, homemade chili salted popcorn. We took ¾ cup of popcorn kernels, 1 tablespoon of groundnut oil (nut oils burn at a higher temperature so are great to use when making quick popcorn) and a teaspoon of chilli flakes. You can add as much or as little chilli as you want, depending on the kick you’re after!
Once everyone was ready we had Amy and Elle chopping up the chicken and veg and mixing up the spices. Kara and Maggie on salsa duty, Mary-Margaret and Brittain making up the guacamole and Alexis and Ray making the chopped green salad. Lots of chopping skills required!
Chicken Fajitas with Homemade Guacamole and Salsa.
Everyday Chopped Green Salad.
Once everyone had finished their prep and cooking and the tortillas were warmed and ready it was time to eat and start talking about how Auburn University can take on the Food Revolution. Everyone loved the experience and was keen to set up a cooking club or supper club back home. A way for them to meet up and regularly cook a meal from scratch to build their cooking skills and reconnect with the food they eat. We suggested they set up a Food Revolution group so that we could also keep in touch and track their progress. Thanks girls for joining us, we’ll be looking out for your Auburn University Facebook group. See the photo album from our Finale Party here!
It was a great night and an excellent way to kick off the Food Revolution this summer, getting more people cooking and joining forces locally to start your own Food Revolution. We are here to support you, find a local group here.
The Food Revolution Team
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!