Food Revolution Giving Assistant Winner!Fri 27 Apr 2012
Story by Candice Chavez
As a Graduate student in my final months of my Ph.D. program in neurobiology and behavior, newly engaged and about to move across the country for a new job, I am incredibly busy, but I always try to make time for things that are important to me outside of my work.
One thing that is important to me is to advocate for a healthier lifestyle especially through our food choices. The Food Revolution Giving Assistant made this very easy to achieve. Simply by downloading the Giving Assistant and shopping online as I usually do, I was able to raise money and awareness for a cause that is so very important.
This simple download also led me to win the Food Revolution Giving Assistant grand prize! I never expected to actually win the grand prize. My intentions were purely to use the giving assistant to do my part to raise money for a great cause.
Advocacy For Healthy Eating
Advocacy for healthy eating is important to me because all of my grand-parents were diabetics and in his late 20ís, my brother was also diagnosed as a type II diabetic.
Type II diabetes has run rampant in the nation and it is astonishing that this disease can be prevented if we simply made better food choices. However, the only way we can make better choices, is to know what other options are out there.
The Food Revolution is educating the public about these better options and creating a healthier future for children. That is why I chose to download the giving assistant, to help create a sustainable movement to fight childhood obesity so that our children are not doomed to a lifetime of illness. I am very happy to have won the Food Revolution Giving Assistant grand prize, but I am more proud to be part of a cause that is so very important.
About the author: Candice Chavez is a graduate student finding her Ph.D in neurobiology and behavior
From the Food Revolution Team: The Food Revolution Giving Assistant is a free browser app that allows you to raise funds and help create a sustainable movement to fight obesity, every time you shop online. Once downloaded onto your computer, the free Giving Assistant automatically and effortlessly generates funds as every time you make a purchase with on our online partners, a portion of the proceeds is donated to the Food Revolution. If you havenít already, download this free browser app and start fundraising for free today!
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays