Fun Family Festival This Weekend In Washington, D.C.Mon 28 Oct 2013
Story by The Kids Food Festival
When kids are immersed in enjoyable activities, they absorb and retain information more effectively. The Kids Food Festival embodies this philosophy of learning through fun with its weekend of family events hosted on November 2nd and 3rd, 2013 at Union Market in Washington, D.C. Families will cook, dance, laugh, and taste their way to making balanced food choices!
At the Kids Food Festival, presented by The Creative Kitchen, kids engage all five senses through hands-on, food-related activities. The magic of the festival is rooted in the fact that kids are having so much fun participating in the flavorful activities, that they don’t realize how much they are learning! Enthusiastic eaters and little epicures alike can attend hands-on cooking classes at the James Beard Foundation Future Foodies Pavilion, where renowned chefs pass on their recipes, skills, and love for all things culinary to a new generation of learners. The Balanced Plate Scavenger Hunt (based on USDA ChooseMyPlate.gov guidelines) is the core educational element of the Festival. Kids bounce between exhibitors and activities to sample tasty, wholesome snacks while learning the importance of achieving balance in their food choices. Families will enjoy live musical performances, a disco dance party, fitness workshops and more, with each of the activities relaying special messages about healthful eating.
The Kids Food Festival founder and “Big Cheese” of The Creative Kitchen, Cricket Azima, has a passion for providing cooking classes to children in New York City. “The Kids Food Festival is wonderful because it combats the very serious issue of childhood obesity in such a fun and effective way. We are able to promote and support companies that make healthful living delicious, and kids go home from the events excited about the new, better-for-you foods that they embraced,” Cricket explains. “Through the Festival we get to reach thousands of families in one weekend, and that in itself is incredible.”
General admission to the event is free, and tickets to the hands-on cooking classes in the James Beard Foundation Future Foodies Pavilion can be purchased here. The KFF is excited to support Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
About Kids Food Festival: The Festival is a weekend-long event that uses fun family activities to educate and inform children about making balanced nutrition decisions. The Creative Kitchen is an organization established to teach children about food and how to cook in a safe and educational way. The Festival will be held November 2nd and 3rd, 2013 in Washington D.C., from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- A Family In Fresno Meets The Big Rig
- The Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Year One
- Propelling A School Food Revolution!
- December’s Monthly Challenges
- School Food And Policy In The U.S.
- Jamie's Foundation In America And It's Global Impact
- #FoodRevThanks And Gratitude
- Change Is Happening In Pittsburgh!
- Meet Our Malaysian Food Hero
- Blog Of The Month: The Wednesday Chef
- Cooking Up Change In Fresno
- Food Revolution Shake Up In Vienna
- Food Education: Counting Colors Instead Of Calories
- Mira’s Young Chefs - Hands-on, Educational And Fun Cooking Classes
- What Do You Mean, “Whole Foods – The Store?”
- Hong Kong’s Food Education Program – Think.Cook.Save.
- Manifesto For Pupils' Snack In Romania
- November’s Monthly Challenges
- High Protein Snacks That Satisfy
- Halloween Treat - Rocky Road Kill Recipe!