Get Inspired! See Our Global Ambassadors In ActionWed 27 Mar 2013
Story by Sarah Curl
This month we decided to mix up the Monthly Challenge recap. We want to use this blog post to highlight all the amazing work Ambassadors are doing around the world. The first part will focus on what they are doing all year round and the second part will focus on the amazing global events we have being organized for Food Revolution Day.
We hope that these ideas will help inspire you to start your own Food Revolution in your community.
Global Ambassadors in Action
Donna Castellano | Middletown, New Jersey (photos above) – I’ve started a Wellness Committee at my children's school this year. I had the kids bring in a picture of themselves cooking their favorite after school snack or healthy meal along with the recipe. We set up a huge display in our school hallway using a garden theme. We got such a great response. It was very touching to actually see children so happy and involved in cooking.
Itai Farkas | Tel-Aviv, Israel – We had our first cooking course for children and parents and it was a success with teaching 12 children and parents 20 basic recipes that are easy to preform at home. Beyond learning healthier cooking methods, we have created a real opportunity for the parents working together with their children and spend quality time together.
Claire Morgan-Hughes | Devon, United Kingdom - I have been into a school and asked to speak in three others in the forthcoming months! The first school I spoke at was to year 2 children (aged 6/7) for their science lesson. We did an 45 minutes PE lesson and then I talked to them about the importance of healthy snacks – we chose fruit to begin with and talked about how versatile they are, from dried, to tasting all sorts of different fruits and even made smoothies with them one contained spinach so it was fab to see them trying new fruits and drinks they hadn’t thought of. The recipes were printed and given out too!
Food Revolution Day Planning
Janica Lacova | Bratislava, Slovakia - We are ready for Food Revolution Day 2013 in Slovakia! There will be a lot of events in different towns in our country, healthy brunch, workshops, educations, farmers' markets...I have a twelve people in Slovak team nowadays and we work really hard! Looking forward for that BIG day!
Way Ling Wiesser | Singapore – I’m planning Singapore's largest outdoor potluck party, I have secured the premises of the Real Food Cafe and grocer to host speakers and raw food demos and salad preps. I am also hoping to do small, hands on workshop with young kids.
Alice Randall | Nashville, Tennessee – Booked a stall at the Nashville Farmer's Market for Food Revolution day on May 17th, we will be able to interact directly with Nashvillians and their local food.
Lauren Cracower | Montreal, Canada - We are putting on another Real Food Market, similar to last year. The date and venue are still to be confirmed but we're hoping to improve on the 2012 event with more restaurants, kids activities and local food bloggers.
A big thank you to all the Ambassadors who continued the Food Revolution in their community every month!
We’ll be announcing April’s Monthly Challenges next week so stay tuned to find out what they are and how you can get involved!
Interested in becoming an Ambassador to help kick start a Food Revolution in your community? Apply today!
Find out more about the ambassador program and how you can get involved here.
About the author:Sarah Curl is the Food Revolution Community Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.
Connect with Sarah on Twitter: @sarahanncurl
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival
- A Naturally Sweet School Valentine's Day
- TEDxManhattan "Changing The Way We Eat"