Global Food InitiativeTue 22 Jul 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Earlier this month, the University of California launched the ‘Global Food Initiative’ that will bring together the university’s research, outreach and campus operations in an effort to develop and export solutions throughout California, the United States and the world for food security, health and sustainability.
Launched at Alice Waters Edible Schoolyard Berkeley by UC President Janet Napolitano, the Global Food Initiative was brought together after it was realised that the university system is uniquely positioned to play a leading role in addressing the related challenges of nutrition and sustainability.
“It is a commitment to apply a laser focus on what UC can do as a public research university — in one of the most robust agricultural regions in the world — to take on one of the world’s most pressing issues,” Napolitano said.
The initiative draws on UC’s leadership in agriculture, medicine, nutrition, climate science, public policy, social science, biological science, humanities, arts and law, among others and will bring together all 10 campuses to work together and put the world on a path to sustainably and nutritiously feed itself.
Examples of projects that be included in the initiative include expanding experiential learning, including demonstration gardens, leveraging food purchasing power to encourage sustainable farming practices to serve nutritious food in dining halls and cafeterias and organising food pantries so that food reaches hungry mouths instead of going to waste.
Find out more about the initiative and other projects that will be included here.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Photo credit: LEFT: Reed Hutchinson/UCLA TOP RIGHT: Robert Durell
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table