Global Food InitiativeTue 22 Jul 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Earlier this month, the University of California launched the ‘Global Food Initiative’ that will bring together the university’s research, outreach and campus operations in an effort to develop and export solutions throughout California, the United States and the world for food security, health and sustainability.
Launched at Alice Waters Edible Schoolyard Berkeley by UC President Janet Napolitano, the Global Food Initiative was brought together after it was realised that the university system is uniquely positioned to play a leading role in addressing the related challenges of nutrition and sustainability.
“It is a commitment to apply a laser focus on what UC can do as a public research university — in one of the most robust agricultural regions in the world — to take on one of the world’s most pressing issues,” Napolitano said.
The initiative draws on UC’s leadership in agriculture, medicine, nutrition, climate science, public policy, social science, biological science, humanities, arts and law, among others and will bring together all 10 campuses to work together and put the world on a path to sustainably and nutritiously feed itself.
Examples of projects that be included in the initiative include expanding experiential learning, including demonstration gardens, leveraging food purchasing power to encourage sustainable farming practices to serve nutritious food in dining halls and cafeterias and organising food pantries so that food reaches hungry mouths instead of going to waste.
Find out more about the initiative and other projects that will be included here.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Photo credit: LEFT: Reed Hutchinson/UCLA TOP RIGHT: Robert Durell
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food