Happy Halloween!Tue 30 Oct 2012
Story by Food Revolution Team
The average American eats 24 pounds of candy per year! For children, the majority of that consumption happens on or immediately following Halloween. However, thereís more to Halloween than just sweets and candy! Itís a holiday thatís all about having fun with friends and family, dressing up and playing games.
Being healthy on Halloween doesnít have to mean trading in all the treats. Kids often have multiple sweet-filled celebrations: at school, at friendsí houses, and in the community, all before even mentioning the tons of candy collected trick or treating, so this Halloween find some new creative ways to stay balanced.
Ideas for a Healthier Halloween
Our friends at CSPI have created a Pintrest board dedicated to a Healthier Halloween. They have suggestions for healthier trick or treating, like handing out temporary tattoos or limiting candy to small servings. Their tips for healthier Halloween parties include ways to keep the kids moving or engaged, and their Ghoulishly Great Ideas for Halloween tip sheet sums everything up with some devilishly delicious snack ideas.
Real Food on the menu
Speaking of tasty food, CSPI reminds us to give children a healthy meal before trick-or-treating, making candy dessert not dinner. A big bowl of our Veggie chili, our recipe of the month, should do the trick! Or add some real food to your Halloween party with our Wibbly wobbly clementine jelly. Homemade cookies always go down a treat, why not serve the neighborhood ghosts and ghouls a warm batch of Oatmeal raisin cookies when they come to the door. And donít forget you can turn the inside of your jack-o-lantern into pumpkin soup, or roast those seeds with a bit of spicy paprika to add a kick to a Garden salad.
Share your pumpkin and Halloween photos with us!
- Food Revolution Day At Work In The Netherlands
- The Disco Salad In Vienna On May 17
- Creating A Waterfall Of Real Food, Cooking And Food Education
- Food For Thought On Food Revolution Day.
- Revolutionizing Food In Richmond
- Food Tasting For FRD2013 At Roehampton University
- Learning Knife Skills And Life Skills In Pittsburgh
- The Family Dinner Challenge
- A Potluck Of Fun For Food Revolution Day
- Jamie's Italian Celebrates Food Revolution Day
- The Ultimate Italian Supper For Food Revolution Day
- Announcing Juneís Monthly Challenges
- Promoting The Mission For Better Food In Devon
- 'Mr. Zee's Apple Factory' Teaches Kids About Processed Food
- WITS Celebrates Food Revolution Day With Seasonal Greens
- Food Revolution Day In North Carolina Grows Even Stronger!
- 74 Countries Celebrate Food Revolution Day
- World Health Assembly Adopts New Targets
- Hong Kong Hungers For Better Food & Food Education
- Blog Of The Month - The Scoop On Nutrition