Happy Halloween!Tue 30 Oct 2012
Story by Food Revolution Team
The average American eats 24 pounds of candy per year! For children, the majority of that consumption happens on or immediately following Halloween. However, there’s more to Halloween than just sweets and candy! It’s a holiday that’s all about having fun with friends and family, dressing up and playing games.
Being healthy on Halloween doesn’t have to mean trading in all the treats. Kids often have multiple sweet-filled celebrations: at school, at friends’ houses, and in the community, all before even mentioning the tons of candy collected trick or treating, so this Halloween find some new creative ways to stay balanced.
Ideas for a Healthier Halloween
Our friends at CSPI have created a Pintrest board dedicated to a Healthier Halloween. They have suggestions for healthier trick or treating, like handing out temporary tattoos or limiting candy to small servings. Their tips for healthier Halloween parties include ways to keep the kids moving or engaged, and their Ghoulishly Great Ideas for Halloween tip sheet sums everything up with some devilishly delicious snack ideas.
Real Food on the menu
Speaking of tasty food, CSPI reminds us to give children a healthy meal before trick-or-treating, making candy dessert not dinner. A big bowl of our Veggie chili, our recipe of the month, should do the trick! Or add some real food to your Halloween party with our Wibbly wobbly clementine jelly. Homemade cookies always go down a treat, why not serve the neighborhood ghosts and ghouls a warm batch of Oatmeal raisin cookies when they come to the door. And don’t forget you can turn the inside of your jack-o-lantern into pumpkin soup, or roast those seeds with a bit of spicy paprika to add a kick to a Garden salad.
Share your pumpkin and Halloween photos with us!
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!