Have You Asked For Real Food In The Farm Bill?Tue 12 Jun 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Last week the Senate began debate on the Farm Bill, the most important law determining what America eats dictating the types of crops that are grown, how farmers grow and sell the food that you eat and what food assistance programs are available.
Though the Farm Bill approved by the Senate Agriculture Committee supported some important changes, it drastically cut food assistance programs and underfunded local and healthy food programs. Therefore, a number of amendments have been introduced to make changes to the bill and to restore these cuts.
We, alongside the EWG, CSPI, Marion Nestle, Alice Waters, Michael Pollan and numerous other food leaders, chefs, advocates and organizations have taken action to help get the farm bill on a better track and urge the senate to provide more support for healthy food in the bill.
You Can Take Action NOW Too
This week is another important one as the Senate will continue to debate the bill. You can help strengthen the farm bill by letting your senators know that you want more support for local, healthy and real food.
Join us in supporting Senator Gillibrand’s (NY) amendment to restore these cuts and ensure funding for more support for local and healthy food programs, including an additional $500 million over 10 years to the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program which provides fresh produce and snacks to schoolchildren.
Share The Message
If you have already called your senators and supported this important amendment then why not share the message on social media and encourage others to do so too, every voice counts.
Help make real food a priority, take action now.
The Food Revolution Team
- The Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Year One
- Propelling A School Food Revolution!
- December’s Monthly Challenges
- School Food And Policy In The U.S.
- Jamie's Foundation In America And It's Global Impact
- #FoodRevThanks And Gratitude
- Change Is Happening In Pittsburgh!
- Meet Our Malaysian Food Hero
- Blog Of The Month: The Wednesday Chef
- Cooking Up Change In Fresno
- Food Revolution Shake Up In Vienna
- Food Education: Counting Colors Instead Of Calories
- Mira’s Young Chefs - Hands-on, Educational And Fun Cooking Classes
- What Do You Mean, “Whole Foods – The Store?”
- Hong Kong’s Food Education Program – Think.Cook.Save.
- Manifesto For Pupils' Snack In Romania
- November’s Monthly Challenges
- High Protein Snacks That Satisfy
- Halloween Treat - Rocky Road Kill Recipe!
- Jamie Oliver Addresses The Global Food Revolution