Jamie To Address One Young World!Fri 26 Aug 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Summit in Zurich, September 1st – 4th
Jamie will make a rare speech at the One Young World summit in Zurich on September 2nd; it will be the first time that he has given a public speech since his acceptance of the prestigious TED Prize in February 2010.
As with the TED speech, Jamie is likely to focus his attentions on the global fight against the obesity epidemic and the urgent need for strategic action to educate and empower young people and communities so that they have the knowledge to make better food choices.
Jamie says: “When I was approached by One Young World to address the summit, I knew that it would be one of the toughest speeches I would ever give. These delegates, all under 27, come from all over the world and they’re the leaders and decision-makers of tomorrow. These guys don’t care about formalities or protocol – they want an insight on the global obesity epidemic. I hope that everyone leaves the room with a sense of urgency that action needs to be taken. Now.”
The speech takes place at 9.30am on Friday 2nd September in the Kongresshaus in Zurich.
In honor of Jamie’s speech we will be launching a new petition page on the Facebook Food Revolution Community to help us push Jamie’s petition to over 1 million global supporters.
Jamie’s Food Revolution petition has gained over 700,000 supporters since March 2010; mostly from the USA and over 30,000 from the rest of the world. From September 1st 2011 we will be updating Jamie’s petition to show a global count of supporters. The petition is still the same but widened out to address a global problem. This is a move to highlight the global obesity epidemic: 1.7 billion people are obese or overweight globally including 200 million children. The world wants a Food Revolution!
Keep your eye on the Food Revolution website for updates on One Young World and Jamie’s speech.
You can also embed our One Young World countdown widget on to your website that will direct you to the live-streaming of Jamie’s speech on the 2nd! Just copy and paste the code at the bottom of this article.
Find out more about One Young World.
The Food Revolution Team
Copy this code to embed our One Young World countdown widget:
<iframe src="http://www.jamieoliver.com/foundation/jamies-food-revolution/countdown.php" width="301" height="223" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Screen shot of the countdown widget bottom left. Over 30 counsellors will be attending One Young World, these are just some of them:
Top row, left to right: Jamie Oliver | Desmond Tutu, Activist and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Emeritus Archbishop | HKH Princess Mette Marit of Norway, Co-runs The Crown Prince and Crown Princess’ Humanitarian Fund | Roger Federer, Tennis Player | Oscar Morales, Founder of One Million Voices Against FARC Bottom row, left to right: Bob Geldof, Musician and Activist | Joss Stone, Singer & Songwriter
One Young World
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays