Keeping Cooking Skills Alive On The Big Rig In FresnoFri 25 Oct 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Since early October, the Big Rig mobile kitchen has been in Fresno, California, sharing essential cooking skills. SIgn up for classes here.
Starting at The Big Fresno Fair, the Fresno community has seen demos onboard the Big Rig, learned some great real food recipes and discovered how much fun (and how easy!) cooking wholesome meals from scratch can be!
We’ve also seen the first set of Food Champions graduate – members of the community who have learned first-hand how to teach others to cook and who can keep the legacy alive in Fresno once the Big Rig moves on. Check out the Big Rig schedule here to see if it is coming to a community near you.
We wrapped up our first day of classes on the rig with a visit from some Fresno VIPs! Fresno Unified School District Superintendent Michael Hansen, board member Luis Chavez, Community College Board Member Eric Payne, Superior Court Judge David Gottlieb and his family, and a representative from Senator Vidak’s office all joined the Big Rig team for our "Taste of Japan" cooking class. This team of VIPs prepared tender teriyaki salmon, an elegant cucumber ribbon salad and fool-proof fluffy rice.
Everyone loved the simplicity of the recipes and really enjoyed the team cooking approach, with our Food Champions guiding them through the recipe and teaching simple cooking techniques at the same time!
Check out a video of the class in action here and see some great images on the Fresno BHC Facebook page here.
Be sure to follow @joffbigrig on Twitter and Instagram to get live updates and see classes in action, and find out more about the Big Rig and the 2013-2014 tour here.
Here’s to bringing food education, nutritious cooking skills and real food dishes to local communities!
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!