Keeping Cooking Skills Alive On The Big Rig In FresnoFri 25 Oct 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Since early October, the Big Rig mobile kitchen has been in Fresno, California, sharing essential cooking skills. SIgn up for classes here.
Starting at The Big Fresno Fair, the Fresno community has seen demos onboard the Big Rig, learned some great real food recipes and discovered how much fun (and how easy!) cooking wholesome meals from scratch can be!
We’ve also seen the first set of Food Champions graduate – members of the community who have learned first-hand how to teach others to cook and who can keep the legacy alive in Fresno once the Big Rig moves on. Check out the Big Rig schedule here to see if it is coming to a community near you.
We wrapped up our first day of classes on the rig with a visit from some Fresno VIPs! Fresno Unified School District Superintendent Michael Hansen, board member Luis Chavez, Community College Board Member Eric Payne, Superior Court Judge David Gottlieb and his family, and a representative from Senator Vidak’s office all joined the Big Rig team for our "Taste of Japan" cooking class. This team of VIPs prepared tender teriyaki salmon, an elegant cucumber ribbon salad and fool-proof fluffy rice.
Everyone loved the simplicity of the recipes and really enjoyed the team cooking approach, with our Food Champions guiding them through the recipe and teaching simple cooking techniques at the same time!
Check out a video of the class in action here and see some great images on the Fresno BHC Facebook page here.
Be sure to follow @joffbigrig on Twitter and Instagram to get live updates and see classes in action, and find out more about the Big Rig and the 2013-2014 tour here.
Here’s to bringing food education, nutritious cooking skills and real food dishes to local communities!
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’